USB Recording - any good?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by STeveAV, Oct 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. STeveAV

STeveAV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I plan to purchase a new TV and at the same time move away from Virgin Media as the costs are getting to high. How useful are the recording facilities direct through modern TVs onto USB drives? If OK, I won't need to also purchase a PVR

2. fryrpc

fryrpc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Obviously it depends on the TV. I would suggest you test it out before cancelling Virgin ;-)

The key things are having a USB3 socket (more power and faster speed) and more than a single tuner onboard.

I have an LG OLED E7 which has a dual tuner and WebOS v3.5.
    Recordings and series link can all be set from the Freeview Guide app and any recordings are available then in the Recordings app. I currently have a 64gb USB3 thumb drive and HD channels use around 1.5 to 2gb per hour - so that gives you an idea about capacity. I am not able to use live pausing of TV as this needs an external hard disk connected to the USB3 port instead of a thumb drive.

I seem to recall that there are warnings that popup about doing other things at the same time as recording - I guess this is so there is enough CPU left. I have only done a few recordings and they have been OK. The recordings can only be opened on the TV - so no taking the USB stick out and plugging it into a laptop.

3. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    As above... A purpose made PVR will likely out perform a TV. Many TVs do not have dual tuners and so cannot record one while watching another.
    Top end ones do, but implementation of the record function varies a lot. Do insist on a demo in store of this feature to see if it will suit you.

You will, of course, need a functioning terrestrial aerial for Freeview; and your location / transmitter received will affect the number of TV channels that you get. Digitaluk has a postcode predictor that will tell you .