1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Print Server?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kramer, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Netgear DG824 wireless gateway/router/switch/modem thingy (quite happy with it - latest firmware was a big improvement).

3 PCs (wired), xbox & laptop (wireless) connected. My 2 printers are connected to one of the PCs (laser & inkjet) through a 4 port usb hub. Shared on the network so printing isn't a problem.

All is fine & dandy as long as the "printer" PC is running. Mrs. K has been questioning the need to have 3 PCs running 24/7 lately so I'm looking at a print server.

Questions:

The router is away from the printers & only one network cable runs to the "printer" PC. Do I need another dedicated network cable for the print server? Or can I daisychain the network cable through the print server? I could probably use a cheap 4 port switch but would prefer direct connection to the existing router.

Can I use 2 printers through a usb hub into the print server or do I need a server with 2 usb ports?

Given the wireless side is working nicely, should I consider a wireless print server?

What would you recommend? Netgear? Linksys?

Looking for something cheap & cheerful & haven't looked at these before so assistance/advice appreciated.
    :smoke:

2. pcdoc

pcdoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    what you need K, is a a stand alone box (looks like a hub/router) that has a print server built in. Connect the printers to that box then just use a standard network cable to your network. The print server will obtain its own IP address through the DHCP server which I assume is your router. Not having looked at these for ages I am talking about the LPT type here, but I assume there will be USB ones on the market, at a cost. ebuyer do a D-Link router/print server 2 Parallel & 1 USB £93. You should be able to use the USB hub attached to the Print server.

Hope that helps

3. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    3 Com do a Bluetooth adapter for printer parallel ports. Just attach a USB Bluetooth adapter to your PC and you have wireless access without excessive complications.

Easier than USB print server.

4. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300