USB Ports on the SKY Plus Box - can i transfer saved programes to an external HD

warnoeuk

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi

I've got a SKY Plus box and has saved a few intresting programes but can i transfer these from my SKY Plus to and external HD?

I've noticed that theres a usb conector, is it possible to use these to transfer stored items to a external HD

PLMK

No they are not enabled. I don't know what plans Sky had for the USB ports, as well as the SATA and Ethernet ports on the Sky HD box, but they will probably never get round to enableing them knowing Sky.

Andy.

warnoeuk said:
hi

I've got a SKY Plus box and has saved a few intresting programes but can i transfer these from my SKY Plus to and external HD?

I've noticed that theres a usb conector, is it possible to use these to transfer stored items to a external HD

PLMK

In a word...no. You cannot do anything other than charge a mobile phone or other device using these ports.

There is a way of transferring sky plus content (free to air broadcasts) to your pc now!See my post in this forum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366465

I am suprised that this topic is getting a lot of views but no discussion!I thought that a lot of people have been asking about this for years!

Maybe when everybody has finished working for the week!

Cheers,Jimbo (hdtv mmm)

hdtv mmm said:
I am suprised that this topic is getting a lot of views but no discussion!I thought that a lot of people have been asking about this for years!

Maybe when everybody has finished working for the week!

Cheers,Jimbo (hdtv mmm)

Maybe because it's quicker/easier just to use a DVDR.

JayCee,it may be much easier and faster to use a dvd recorder connected to the output of the sky box but the point is to make a lossless transfer of the sky plus recording.Using the new method you will have the exact stream as broadcast by sky.

Connecting a dvd recorder there is a big loss in quality from the original broadcast as the sky box does a digital to analogue conversion for the output and then a dvd recorder would have to encode in real time the input.

When I get time I am going to open up my sky box and get those recordings onto my pc!Then I will let you know my findings!

One of the intetions with the USB port was that you would be able to connect external devices such as a playstation etc, but this never came into action. Can't see what the reason or the logic would be to connect a PS to the SKY+ box anyway. Maybe some sort of networking via SKY?

JayCee said:
Maybe because it's quicker/easier just to use a DVDR.

Or use a PC sat card and capture FTA digital satellite straight to the hard drive without all the effort of removing the SKY+ drive and then having the STB throw a wobbly and wipe the entire drive when you put it back in:)

hdtv mmm said:
JayCee,it may be much easier and faster to use a dvd recorder connected to the output of the sky box but the point is to make a lossless transfer of the sky plus recording.Using the new method you will have the exact stream as broadcast by sky.

Connecting a dvd recorder there is a big loss in quality from the original broadcast

Got to disagree here...I concede there is a loss in quality but in no way could it be described it as a big loss...maybe with a cheap low-end DVDR using composite from the Sky box but if fed with an RGB signal in to a good quality DVDR the picture is perfectably acceptable to your average Joe.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom