USB Ports - For Flipping Hecks Sake

Some Bloke

Prominent Member
Reaction score
How do you get those F'ing USB ports to recognise anything ?
I've tried various USB Pen Drives and internal 3.5" drives connected with caddy's.
I've formatted them with Fat16/32 and EXT2/3 and still they aren't recognised.

Humax FoxSat HDR machine.

Thank you :)

How do you get those F'ing USB ports to recognise anything ?
I've tried various USB Pen Drives and internal 3.5" drives connected with caddy's.
I've formatted them with Fat16/32 and EXT2/3 and still they aren't recognised.

Humax FoxSat HDR machine.

Thank you :)

I can copy from the HDR with everyone i've tried but can't
get the update to recognise:(
It won't play video files from your HDD

It's a strange on this one. So far I haven't found a usb stick or proper drive that does not work with the hdr. It's clear that some chip sets on usb pen drives don't work. If you are using usb powered HDD's then there may not be enough power but otherwise FAT32 or EXT3 should work OK. I take it you don't get the USB drive connected message.

I've spent the past two days learning my new machine.

Find that it will play its own recordings back from external HDD, I haven't tried other video files yet.

Had some issues with recognition but turned out to be improper EXT3 formating.

But then the Foxsat came up with the message "Ext Drive not recognised ... need to format in FAT32 or EXT3".

Last edited:

It will if you use AV2HDR to create the support files.

Two possible problems with using pen drives to update firmware.

Filename incorrect (could be down to using windows default of suppressing file extensions giving xxxx.hdf.hdf).

Using the remote boot button rather than the one on the front of the box.

I've found that all cheap USB sticks work "out of the box". If you have problems with USB sticks my advice would be to buy the cheapest you can find. As for USB HDD, suggest you install an internal 1Gb and don't bother with USB.

Thank you for the replies :smashin:

Is it fairly easy to swap HDD's ?
I've swapped them before in the Sky HD boxes.
Obviously, you'll void your warranty, but are they any screws underneath warranty stickers that I'd break if I did swap the HDD ?

Or can you get in and out and commit the perfect crime ? ;)

Thank you for the replies :smashin:

Is it fairly easy to swap HDD's ?
I've swapped them before in the Sky HD boxes.
Obviously, you'll void your warranty, but are they any screws underneath warranty stickers that I'd break if I did swap the HDD ?

Or can you get in and out and commit the perfect crime ? ;)

Hairdryer unsticks one end of the sticker. Once cool it sticks back again :D

See simple HDD swap

http://foxsatdisk.wikispaces.com/

It will if you use AV2HDR to create the support files.

Two possible problems with using pen drives to update firmware.

Filename incorrect (could be down to using windows default of suppressing file extensions giving xxxx.hdf.hdf).

Using the remote boot button rather than the one on the front of the box.

I am using the remote and not the machine
I am at work but will try it later
Thanks for that

I am using the remote and not the machine
I am at work but will try it later
Thanks for that

Zee classic error :D:D

However I would have thought your box will have the latest software anyway :confused: It get's installed automatically if the box is left in sby overnight.

The part that's not easy is finding a new drive, without taking out a second mortgage.

Need to wait a month or two, once they mop out the water from the Thai factories they will get cheaper. Like memory, prices go up and down like a whore's drawers :rotfl: (Can I say that here :eek:)

Thank you both :smashin:
Ah, the classic hairdryer trick :D
Where would the modern day criminal mastermind be without one.

Just call me Moriarty :D, the clear answer is having a bad hairday. Not that I have any :(

The part that's not easy is finding a new drive, without taking out a second mortgage.

Wow, I bought a WD WD10EVVS from Scan for £57 over a year ago, the WD AV drives are around £120 now - what happened ?

what happened ?

Where have you been? :D Thailand flooded mid October leaving several hard drive manufacturers under water and parts suppliers to others also. Sellers cashed in as soon as the news broke then a genuine shortage followed. WD restarted one plant at the end of November with one still under water and due to be pumped out soon for refurb. Things should start to get back to normal around the end of Q1 2012, it'll be interesting to see how soon after the prices come down...

Zee classic error :D:D

However I would have thought your box will have the latest software anyway :confused: It get's installed automatically if the box is left in sby overnight.

Sorry I should have said it's Raydon
Firmware update I am trying to load
I have only had my box a few days

Last edited:
Sorry I should have said it's Raydon
Firmware update I am trying to load
I have only had my box a few days

Now I get it :smashin:

prices go up and down
At the moment they're up and staying up - and you can say that.:laugh:
Externals have stayed at sensible prices - I got a 1tB last week at not a lot more than S B's rate.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom