Usb port on sony bravia s series

cols

Don't mean to be facetious but the instruction book should have a diagram of all the connections and what can go into them... :)

btw my kdl26s3000 doesn't have a usb port, at least not to my knowledge...:rolleyes:

thelargeportion

Standard Member
With the majority of tvs, it means you have access to something called "photo tv", essentially allowing you to plug your digital camera in to view the pictures.

I wasn't aware it was available on the S series though!

mike7

Distinguished Member
Depends what model you are talking about. Some current models in the 4000 range do allow for a memory stick to be plugged in to show photos. However, in older models the socket was purely for service uses and is not any use for anything else. Sorry I cannot be more specific about this. If it is used for photos then as colspark says it will be selectable by the menu.

drbkt

Standard Member
I have tried all types of files via USB,but it does not respond,some say that it is service port only,Is it possible that techs have a different remote to operate?

mike7

Distinguished Member
I have tried all types of files via USB,but it does not respond,some say that it is service port only,Is it possible that techs have a different remote to operate?

If the socket cannot be selected by the standard menu then it is not intended to be used as a regular input. Going into service menus and using service ports can cause a lot of problems and you probably won't achieve anything useful. You have still not said what model your set is.

Standard Member
I got my S-series Bravia yesterday (KDL32s5100) and even I was wondering why the usb port at the back. The manual also doesnt speak about it. Got info from the sony website that the port is a 'service only' port :(

Additional port info:
  • Inputs and Outputs
  • AC Power Input : 1 (Rear)
  • Analog Audio Input(s) (Total) : 5 (2 Side, 3 Rear)
  • Analog Audio Input(s) for HDMI™ : 1 (Rear)
  • Audio Out : 1 (Rear)
  • Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input(s) : 2 (Rear) (1 fixed, 1 selectable)
  • Composite Video Input(s) : 2 (1 Side, 1 Rear (selectable))
  • Digital Audio Output(s) : Optical Digital Output - 1 (Rear)
  • HDMI™ Connection(s) (Total) : 3 (2 Side, 1 Rear)
  • HDMI™ PC Input : Yes (see owner's manual for supported timings)
  • PC In (D-Sub) + Audio In (Stereo Mini) : 1 (Side) see owner's manual for supported timings
  • RF Connection Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
  • S-Video Detection : Yes
  • S-Video Input(s) : 1 (Side)
  • USB 1.1 : 1 (Rear) (Service only)

jeffremus

Standard Member
I think what he was asking was "Has anyone found a hack for this port" I have not tried as of yet plugging my Linux computer into this port. I did notice a large piece of paper that came with the documentation. It was labeled "Notices and licenses for software used in this television"
A list of GPLs, LGPL Libraries and GNU licenses.
Anyone good with programming might enjoy reprogramming there TV with the latest codec's.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom