USB passthrough HDMI

feckoffcup

Novice Member
Hi

I have a number of HiSense and Philips TVs connected to computers via HDMI - I was hoping to add webcams to above the TVs but wanted to avoid running another USB cable from the TV to the computer. Do any TVs come with the ability to connect the webcam to the USB port on the TV and then pass the input signal from the webcam through the HDMI cable back to the computer - effectively using the HDMI cable connected from TV > computer to go both directions? I hope this makes sense!

If this cannot technically work, is anyone aware of any hardware devices that could be added behind the TV to make this possible? It is purely for aesthetics to avoid running a long USB cable from the webcam back to the computer - thanks.

mikej

I'm pretty certain what you want to do isn't possible. Despite both being digital interfaces, HDMI and USB won't be interchangeable in that way. I think many smart TVS do have the ability to use webcams via USB these days but, presumably, this is for use with a TV's own messenger apps rather than programs installed on an external device like a PC.

A TV's HDMI sockets are also for input only with an exception being if the HDMI socket is ARC-enabled, but the return in that case is solely used for digital audio, rather than any other kind of data.

How close are you sat to these TVs, out of interest ? A typical PC webcam would normally be designed to be used fairly close-up - ie. a few feet away from a monitor, rather than across a typical room where the distance could be many metres, in which case you may appear pretty small in the webcam's field of view. Depends what purposes you need it for, I guess :)

Upvote 0

feckoffcup

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply Mike. All of the TVs are in 4-6 seater meeting rooms, we have tested the webcams in a couple of the rooms and the audio/video return is excellent, it looks like we will just have to run the extended USB back through to the computers.

Upvote 0

mikej

Thanks for the reply Mike. All of the TVs are in 4-6 seater meeting rooms, we have tested the webcams in a couple of the rooms and the audio/video return is excellent, it looks like we will just have to run the extended USB back through to the computers.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry - I had presumed it was a domestic set-up. There may be solutions to your problem that I'm not aware of, so it could be worth waiting for more replies.

There are bound to be companies responsible for installing this type of set-up that deal with these sorts of issues on a regular basis, I would have thought ?

Upvote 0

next010

Distinguished Member

If money is no object there are what's called NDI devices.

These capture video over network, for example a HDMI camera plugged into an NDI set top box and supporting software will treat the NDI source as if the camera was directly connected to the PC.

Here is a video on how to use it with software packages like OBS or vmix, but whatever your using the cameras for you'd want to check if it supports NDI sources.

There are also cameras with NDI support built in, not a cheap solution and requires decent WiFi 5Ghz network as well.

Upvote 0

feckoffcup

Novice Member
If money is no object there are what's called NDI devices.

These capture video over network, for example a HDMI camera plugged into an NDI set top box and supporting software will treat the NDI source as if the camera was directly connected to the PC.

Here is a video on how to use it with software packages like OBS or vmix, but whatever your using the cameras for you'd want to check if it supports NDI sources.

There are also cameras with NDI support built in, not a cheap solution and requires decent WiFi 5Ghz network as well.
That's great thanks for the response. My cheap as chips option just isn't possible then - I had a look at some of that hardware which is above and beyond what we would be looking for it to do - longer USB cables the only way forward!

Upvote 0

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘is anyone aware of any hardware devices that could be added behind the TV to make this possible?’ - use a small form factor computer behind the TV is how you would normally set this up, assuming you don’t want to add a dedicated networked VC device at each TV.

Joe

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom