USB -> NAS adapter?

godsakes

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all

A while back i gifted a old softmodded xbox with XBMC for my friend to use as a media streamer.

I'm thinking about his xmas gift and was thinking about something along the lines of a NAS box so he doesn't need to keep his laptop on to stream.

What's the cheapest option? is there such a thing as a USB -> NAS adapter? which I could get him and gift one of my old external hard drives

edit: would something like item 310171839184 on ebay work?

don't know what use the usb-nas adapter would be.......

if you got him a NAS, then it may or may not come with drives in it, so he would need to fill it with storage, and then usb drives can usually be plugged into the NAS as additional storage form which the files there in could be shared across the network, and to the xbox.....

what would you use the usb adapter for.......?

they around the £65 mark from some places :), its about as cheap as you are going to get really. However cant you just plug the external drive straight into the xbox?

The original Xbox has only USB 1 ports on it so not ideal for reading media, Xbox would be faster reading over network than any other method unless you start using the IDE drive as storage pool.

USB Station 2 is one of the better USB adapters & they are generally not that great to begin with.

There is a lead and it's like £25. Google around for it.

You can get cheaper solutions for £30-40 but can't real off any models off the top of my head.

they around the £65 mark from some places :), its about as cheap as you are going to get really. However cant you just plug the external drive straight into the xbox?
Whilst an xbox with XBMC can read Fat32 drives, you'd have to buy or make a usb adaptor and if you turn the xbox on with it plugged in it will format the drive, you have to plug it in after it's turned on.

I had one of those USB-LAN adaptors that was an eBay special. Not really sure why I bought it either because I knew it would be a waste of time.

I've never got it to work yet. In fact it probably went the journey a long time ago! Personally I wouldn't bother with one of the cheap ones but hey, you pays your money you takes your choice and all that :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom