• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

USB Memory stick recommendations?

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I've tried this in the proper computer section but nobody seems to answer much in there!

I'm looking for a couple of 16GB or maybe 32GB USB memory sticks but can't seem to find any that get consistent good reviews from buyers. Every time I see one that I think could be OK there are reviewers that say it either failed after a few weeks or that the device has very slow write speeds.

Any recommendations please?

jenam93

Some good, some bad .....don't you see that with just about everything reviewed online though.

The only one I have used is a Corsair Voyager 16Gb which you can pick up for about a tenner these days.

Had it for years and never had a problem at all. :smashin:

Orson

I've had a couple of Play's own brand ones for at least a year, and they've been used pretty constantly, and the kids also borrow them & take stuff to & from school, so they've been thrown about a bit, and they've never missed a beat.

Oh, and as for watching what you say about Derby, believe me, I bet I'm saying far worse these days! :)

[Edit]
Actually, I've just had a look at their site, and the one I had doesn't seem to be there any longer. Mine have rubber casings & caps, and are quite 'spongy' to touch, so take a bit of a knock, but I can't find them anywhere.

Last edited:

pandemic

What are you using them for mainly? I use mine as a backup for media files, so I prefer to spend a bit more than normal and buy a fast write usb drive. My recommendation is a US brand called Patriot, check out their XT range of USBs for speedy drives. This one's USB3 (backwards compatible with USB2) Patriot 16GB Supersonic Boost XT USB 3.0 Flash Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories, bit of bargain although I haven't used this particular model.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'll be needing a couple for the car stereo, so maybe a shorter one would be better and then a separate one for using in the house for a few backups and transferring files etc.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
There will always be complaints about flash sticks when people remove them without ejecting first.

addyb

Distinguished Member
What are you using them for mainly? I use mine as a backup for media files, so I prefer to spend a bit more than normal and buy a fast write usb drive. My recommendation is a US brand called Patriot, check out their XT range of USBs for speedy drives. This one's USB3 (backwards compatible with USB2) Patriot 16GB Supersonic Boost XT USB 3.0 Flash Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories, bit of bargain although I haven't used this particular model.

I bought the 32GB model one last week from Play.com. Brilliant and easily the best ive had in terms of speed. Worth paying the extra imo.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
There will always be complaints about flash sticks when people remove them without ejecting first.

My dad does this all the ****ing time and it really pisses me off. He even does it with my external HDD and I just want to punch him in the face.

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
My dad does this all the ****ing time and it really pisses me off. He even does it with my external HDD and I just want to punch him in the face.

a lot of the time i just pull my usb stick without ejecting but only when i know its not in use and read write has ended, proper hdd's though i wouldnt do it with.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom