USB HDD no access,I/O device error

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by ALIEN1X, Mar 9, 2013.

1. ALIEN1X

ALIEN1X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    :lease:Hello,

I have a Western Elements external USB 1TB HDD. I did drop it a some days ago but then was working fine up untill now. When connected I get can not access drive due to device input/output error.

Is there a way I can resolve this or recover data? Is there any special software that can do this, but I can not access tghe drive.

When connected my computer recorgnise an attached strogare device but thats about it. I no acess gto the files, but can see the hard drive LED light flicker and hear the disk spinning.

Any help please.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. jasonf01

jasonf01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    It might have suffered a head crash, this is where one or more of the disk heads touch the magnetic surface. The magnetic surface is then chipped away piece by piece as the heads go over the gouge and make contact again. Over time the drive eats its own data.

That would be my best guess without seeing it. If thats the case, it might already be too late, as the more its used the less there will be to recover from. If I were going to try a recovery from a drive with a head crash, assuming this is the case, I would clone the drive as-is using one of the drive cloners on a boot cd (Eg, Hirens) to another disk and try to recover from the backup.

Jas.