USB HDD constantly on

georgeb

Standard Member
I have recently purchased a Sony xh9505 which is great. I have a portable USB HDD inserted which contains movies etc.
I've noticed when the TV is switched off the HDD powers up every minute or so and runs for about a minute repeatedly.
I'm concerned this is using excess power and maybe causing excessive wear and tear on the drive. I don't really want to keep plugging out and in as it worked fine on my previous tv. Any help appreciated

JayCee

Distinguished Member
USB HDD powered from your TV's USB or does it have it's own power supply?
If the former just use an ext psu.

georgeb

Standard Member
USB HDD powered from your TV's USB or does it have it's own power supply?
If the former just use an ext psu.
Powered by TV..... Yes I guess I could buy a new hdd which is powered separately. I was just hoping there was a way to switch off via settings in the Sony.
My old Toshiba never did this

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I am aware USB ports on Sony TV's remain live for a few minutes after the set is switched to standby but you say the HDD powers up every minute and runs for 1 minute, does that carry on indefinitely or does it eventually stop?
Have you tried leaving it plugged in to see if it eventually stops?

georgeb

Standard Member
Yes it carries on. I put the tv into standby every night (not switched off at socket). I can hear the HDD start up and the light lights up on the hdd.
Sometimes if the tv is switched off during the day I can hear the slight whir of the drive starting up and when I check it's light is on again.
It's frustrating and I'm now trying to think of ways around this - I don't want it to be starting up numerous times a day when I'm not even using it. Surely it's going to be casuing wear and tear on tv and hdd. I could plug it out of the usb socket when I'm not using it but telling the kids / wife to do that means it probably won't happen !
I've read up on a few alternatives such as plugging the usb hdd into back of router and using it that way but my router doesn't have a usb socket. I'm now considering a NAS drive (i've seen a cheap recertified WD my cloud 2TB for less than £100) which should do the job or maybe even investing in a shield and view films through that. Just a shame that the Sony can't manage it without the usb hdd running continuously.

Jaded1

My Panasonic does this even when in standby. I think it makes sense to unplug them when not in use otherwise the HD may suffer damage from overheating?

georgeb

Standard Member
yes looks like I need to unplug which is a pain tbh. I'm considering an SSD which would maybe avoid the need to keep plugging out

JayCee

Distinguished Member
yes looks like I need to unplug which is a pain tbh. I'm considering an SSD which would maybe avoid the need to keep plugging out
SSD's aren't suitable for use as a PVR.
Why not put your HDD on an extension cable.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom