USB DVD Player Required - Not Philips 5960

S

Spork1975

Hi there

I have browsed this forum and thought my mind was made up on buying an action packed, budget priced Philips DVP 5960.

I want to purchase a DVD player that I can hook a USB hard drive up to to play a multitude of video files, I am not so much needing the machine to play DISCs with various video formats, will mostly be playing standard UK region purchased DVDs disc wise, so really its ALL about the USB for me!

My concerns:-

* Sound quality (but I have a good Marrantz Amp and Stereo speakers - this should get me out of that rut?)
* Philips DVP5982 being released soon (still seems to be USB 1, so no big improvement for what I want)

What other units would best suit my needs? I first looked at the
Umax Kazuki DVD-7400X but got nervous over complaints of annoying sub titles and other quirks that can (but not always) materialise after a few months to torture the user.

Next one I spotted was the LG DVX-298H DVD player, it looked grand but I then learned of the Philips DVP 5960... Circles!!

So to summarise... USB (USB 2 preferably) and if possible to the rear of the unit, Play a multitude of video file formats via USB, be reliable, good sound and video quality. PS, My budget is between £50 and £130, depending on the unit.

Shgould I stick with the Philips or am I ignoring another good one?

Cheers folks!!

The pioneer 2007 range has a player with a usb port. Search this forum for details of the new range.

Lidl had a DivX DVD Player with 7in2 card reader and USB 2.0 port for £29.99 last Thursday

It plays MP3, Xvid/Divx movies and TV eps with no problem from 1GB drive and a 1 and 4 GB Mp3 player. I waiting For my HHD Enclosure to test if it work.

Reviewed here (German)
http://www.dv-rec.de/test/player2006/silvercrest/6511/6511.html

Read here for actual feedback on this player its not good:-
http://www.hotukdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57666&highlight=silvercrest
The manual says it only supports USB pendrives upto 512Mb. It will support HD through USB if FAT32 as most players with USB will.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom