USB DVB-S2 cards with TVSource

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Monty Burns, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hey guys

i've run out of PCI slots in my PC but I want to add more tuners so this leaves me with two options:

1 - Change the current single tuner PCI cards for dual tuners (but this means throwing these away, how for them on Ebay as second hand?). This is probably a very safe option but is wastefull.

2 - buy USB DVB-S2

so, i'm tempted by option 2 but, has anyone any experience of these with TVSource, is there any lag? Do they work OK? I'm thinking of going for the NOVA ones as my internal tuners are NOVA and work great, would this be the best choice?

Thanks!!!

p.s. the existing threads revealed by search date back to 2009 and aren't much use :(

2. wonder_lander

wonder_lander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've sucessfully used a TechniSat SkyStar USB HD which is a DVB-S2 tuner. You can see the setup on this blog post I did - http://www.worksmarternotharder.org.uk/blog/tv-the-smarter-way

I have recently retired it in favour of a TBS 6984 Quad PCI-e DVB-S2 card as I was using it on an acer Revo and switched my TV source config to a true client server setup.

Where abouts are you Monty?

3. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanks, i've ordered 2 USB tuners and should be with me tomorrow, just need a mate to come over with his extra long ladder at the weekend to upgrade to an Octo LNB.

Sadly, i'm in Slough.

edit: Nice blog mate. Its depressing that you can use ITunes but not Zune inside of MC, maybe that will change with Windows 8? I also didn't realise there was a Quad tuner, i'd have just purchased it and got 6 tuners in total (the one spare slot I have is PCI-E!). I might return my two USB tuners to amazon and get one of these.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  4. wonder_lander

wonder_lander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like you're sorted but I was going to offer to ship you my unused USB tuner so you could have at least given it a shot to confirm it worked in your setup.

THanks for the comment about the blog, not updated it in a while as we took delivery of a new baby boy 5 weeks ago!

5. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Very kind offer but, yeah think its all sorted! Should know by the close of play of the weekend.

Congrats!!! :D