USB DAC Driver settings

Cocksure

Hi
I'm hoping someone can explain to me what the output format should be in my Roksan K3 Dac, as roksan have failed to reply so far to my email.

My choice is to set it at 16 or 24 bit output with no explanation given anywhere for what difference it makes. I have noticed though that for DSD playback it has to be set at 24 bit for playback.

Can anyone explain to me what if any difference option makes?

I am using it with Foobar2000 which is equally set at 24 bit output but this will pay dsd files regardless as to what this is set at.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
You set it to 24bit.
This way, everything (16bit or 24 bit) plays as is, no downscaling.

DSD is nether 16 or 24 bit , it is 1bit 2.822mhz or multiples of that.

DSD can be " decimated" to 24bit, but you dont want to do that, not with your DAC, as it can play DSD natively, you should get an indicator light when native DSD is being passed to the DAC.

Cocksure

Many [email protected]

The world of usb audio is very new to me, so my thanks for explaining that.

In regards DSD playback, if i play it back with the usb dac set at 16 bit i get a loud hissing noise in the background (dsd light comes on), but no hiss at 24 bit setting. In both settings i get a sound like a record needle touch vinyl when i start a dsd track.

However thanks to Naim excellent dac v1 setup guide for both foobar and jriver, i have discovered jriver gives me noise free playback of any kind, so the fault is with foobar (or my setup of it) when it comes to dsd playback.

I have noticed though that with both players i need to turn the dac off and on again when switching back to flac/wav from dsd, but i can go from flac/wav to dsd without issue, is this normal?

Edit
Just tried Jplay and have no issues with switching back and forth

Last edited:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I mainly use Jriver, I have no issues with that, works fine.
Foobar shouldnt be hissing with DSD as long as the correct add on is installed.
This would be foobar SACD Decoder....
Super Audio CD Decoder

Glad you got it working.

Cocksure

I've decided to go over to jriver, as whilst Jplay has no issue with dsd and standard rate flac, it crashes on high bit rate flac which is far more important than dsd playback.

Equally I find the difference in sound quality too small to mention, so at half the price it's a no brainer. I know foobar is free but I do feel that the sound quality is lower with it compared to jriver without Jplay used.

I know it's all digital so it should be the same, but to me there is a difference

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I've decided to go over to jriver, as whilst Jplay has no issue with dsd and standard rate flac, it crashes on high bit rate flac which is far more important than dsd playback.

Equally I find the difference in sound quality too small to mention, so at half the price it's a no brainer. I know foobar is free but I do feel that the sound quality is lower with it compared to jriver without Jplay used.

I know it's all digital so it should be the same, but to me there is a difference
They are only the same, if, and only if, both PC and apps are set up properly for bitperfect playback.

All OS's alter sound by default and will sound different unless " enhancements" are turned off and exclusive control is given to playback software.

Have both the OS and the apps been set up properly?

I,m using jriver and jplay, there should be no crashing with high res, whats your OS and how are your files stored, internal HD, ext HD, or nas/ server?
If its a NAS or server, is your connection wired or wireless?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I,ll have to beg pardon here, I made a mistake, I mistook " jplay " as being the same thing as jremote, which its not,its" jremote " I use for playing files from jriver database remotely via ipad/iphone, not jplay

Apologies, my mistake here.

Last edited:

Cocksure

They are only the same, if, and only if, both PC and apps are set up properly for bitperfect playback.

All OS's alter sound by default and will sound different unless " enhancements" are turned off and exclusive control is given to playback software.

Have both the OS and the apps been set up properly?

I,m using jriver and jplay, there should be no crashing with high res, whats your OS and how are your files stored, internal HD, ext HD, or nas/ server?
If its a NAS or server, is your connection wired or wireless?
Files are all stored on a spare hard drive I have in my pc, with Windows 10 with a fresh install done of windows.

In regards setting up jriver I used this guide and just selected roksan instead of naim.
https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/Naim DAC-V1 - JRiver Configuration_0.pdf

Likewise for foobar I used this as my guide https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/Naim DAC-V1 - Foobar2000 Configuration.pdf

With Jplay I played around with it in the control panel to see which was best for me, with this as my guide https://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/files/Naim DAC-V1 - JPlay Configuration_0.pdf
kennel streaming was awful, but wapasi did sound good. Brought a mark improvement on foobar, but it's too close to call against jriver.

Would have liked to have tried Jplay with jriver to compare, but soon found out it is no longer supported in jriver.

Haven't done any more playing around with settings in jriver (other than naims) as I was trying to decide which one to use first. Jplay manual is awful with things not explain, where as jriver goes into detail which is helpful to someone new like me.

Crash wise I have no issue with jriver (other than having to restart the program when I switch from dsd to wav/flac. It says it is playing the music, but I have to restart the program to hear anything.

Jplay would allow me to switch back from dsd to wav/flac with no issue, but would crash on high resolution files.

Not sure what the issue is with jriver when switching back from dsd, hopefully it is just a setting I need to change somewhere

Last edited:

Cocksure

Quick question, which is best asio or wapasi? Does asio allow pulling of data (event) like wapasi does to get bit prefect data?

andy1249

Distinguished Member
If you have an ASIO driver for your device , then thats the way to go.
If no driver is supplied with the device , then wasapi is the best way to go.

To get W10 bitperfect , right click on the speaker icon bottom right of your screen.
Choose Playback devices
Choose your Audio device which should be listed in the Sound Window
Highlight the device and click on properties
In the Levels Tab , Audio should be set to 100%
In the Enhancements Tab , make sure disable all enhancements is checked , very important!
In the Advanced Tab select highest quality available , though this doesnt really matter , more important is that in the exclusive mode box , both items are checked.

Ive included screenshots of my setup here , Im using and Oppo 105D as a DAC here.
Also note the DSD settings , which are the only ones that work for my DAC.
The last Screenshot shows Jriver playing a DSD file and the bitperfect window is open showing no changes made in the audio path , the blue indicator in Jriver is your key to being bitperfect , if thats not lit blue , something is altering the audio in the path.

01 Sound Win.JPG 02 Prop Win.JPG 03 lev tab.JPG 04 enhance tab.JPG 05 adv tab.JPG 06 Jriver driver settings.JPG 07 Jriver Audio Set.JPG 08 DSD bitperfect.JPG

Cocksure

Wow many thanks for the information, you have lost me with the blue indicator in jriver though, where abouts is that as I don't remember seeing it?

The roksan did come with it's own drivers so I can switch from wapasi to asio. Many thanks again, I will have a go at the settings this weekend when I get back :)

andy1249

Distinguished Member
In the last screenshot I posted, just over the audio path window to the far right, is a small icon that looks like 3 slide controls, hover your mouse pointer over that and the audio path window opens as shown.

That icon is blue when bitperfect i.e. No changes are being made , otherwise it is white and the window lists the changes being made.

Cocksure

Thanks once again @andy1249 :thumbsup:

Selecting Asio driver for the Roksan and your helpful pictures is now giving me bit perfect playback, amazing sound and no issues with switching between file type be it dsd, wav or flac.

You have literally removed my frustration and made me very glad of my purchase.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Glad you got it all working, enjoy.

PaulMancUK

Novice Member
Hey @Cocksure, I am also using a Roksan K3 Dac and wanted to know what dsd audio sounds like. I also downloaded foobar and added the files to be able to play dsd. Also very new to this. I read that the dsd light came on your dac. Mine plays but the light never illuminates. I have the output setting selected as DSD: ASIO : ROKSAN DACONVERTER USB DRIVER. Is this correct? Many thanks

Cocksure

Hi @PaulMancUK :)
If the light isn't lighting up on the Roksan K3 then you are sending a PCM signal instead of a DSD signal. I haven't listened to a DSD source in years as I gave up trying to find music in that format, so I've forgotten what it sounds like.

Foobar is an excellent player but I could never get it to work with a DSD signal and the K3, so I downloaded and tried jrivers media centre (which you get 30 days free trial on) and got DSD that way (see post 11). My advice to you is to try the trial with jrivers so as you can try DSD, if you like it and there is music available in that format for you, then try and get Foobar to work, or buy jrivers.

I switch between the two players now, Foobar for editing of files/folders, JRivers for playback.

Hi @PaulMancUK :)
If the light isn't lighting up on the Roksan K3 then you are sending a PCM signal instead of a DSD signal. I haven't listened to a DSD source in years as I gave up trying to find music in that format, so I've forgotten what it sounds like.

Foobar is an excellent player but I could never get it to work with a DSD signal and the K3, so I downloaded and tried jrivers media centre (which you get 30 days free trial on) and got DSD that way (see post 11). My advice to you is to try the trial with jrivers so as you can try DSD, if you like it and there is music available in that format for you, then try and get Foobar to work, or buy jrivers.

I switch between the two players now, Foobar for editing of files/folders, JRivers for playback.
Hi, how did you solve the problem not playing foobar2000 DSD files because I came across the same problems.

If you have an ASIO driver for your device , then thats the way to go.
If no driver is supplied with the device , then wasapi is the best way to go.

To get W10 bitperfect , right click on the speaker icon bottom right of your screen.
Choose Playback devices
Choose your Audio device which should be listed in the Sound Window
Highlight the device and click on properties
In the Levels Tab , Audio should be set to 100%
In the Enhancements Tab , make sure disable all enhancements is checked , very important!
In the Advanced Tab select highest quality available , though this doesnt really matter , more important is that in the exclusive mode box , both items are checked.

Ive included screenshots of my setup here , Im using and Oppo 105D as a DAC here.
Also note the DSD settings , which are the only ones that work for my DAC.
The last Screenshot shows Jriver playing a DSD file and the bitperfect window is open showing no changes made in the audio path , the blue indicator in Jriver is your key to being bitperfect , if thats not lit blue , something is altering the audio in the path.

View attachment 743853 View attachment 743854 View attachment 743855 View attachment 743856 View attachment 743857 View attachment 743858 View attachment 743859 View attachment 743860
hi I played music files on jriver media center according to your recommendations but as you can see on my attached files although the jriver seems to work just fine the control panel of CXA81 amp discovers ASIO active (PCM mode) instead of DSD mode. Any suggestions?

Attachments

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom