1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB card reader and Win95

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Mr Pleasant, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've got an old Win95-based PC which I want to use for my kids to connect their little digital camera to. The PC has a USB port and I've loaded the USB connection OS add-on. However, now my Delkin card reader is plugged in, the computer simply can't access it, in fact it doesn't even seem to know it's there. Delkin's site doesn't seem to offer drivers for anything less than Win98. The furthest I can can get is booting up and Windows recognising New Hardware and asking for the disk to be supplied with the drivers. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can try next?

2. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mr Pleasant

I think you're out of luck... The Belkin (I presume Delkin was a typo) site lists all their Flash Readers, but as far as I can see, none of them offers a Win 95 driver. I've got a Dazzle Compact Flash reader, and that specifically states NO Win 95 support. I didn't think there was any USB support available at all

The Belkin support URL is here.

Two options that I can see - network their PC to yours so they can use yours (presuming Win 98 or later), or upgrade their PC to Win 98 or later.

Sorry to be of no more help!

Happy Christmas!

Super7

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,412
    The first OS with USB support is Windows 98. You won't get USB to work on any Windows OS prior to this.

4. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Must remember that next time I plug my PPC into a laptop running Win95 OSR2. After all it works fine via USB so must be a bug.

But to be fair, whilst OSR2 did have USB support, it was a very hit or miss affair.

Please tell us what version of Win95 you have (right click my computer, go to properties and it will tell you on the first tab) and we can tell you if it is a lost cause.

5. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    OK, firstly it really is Delkin, Super7! Even I wasted several minutes on Belkin.com yesterday looking for drivers before discovering my make began with a D (see delkin.com).

Networkguy, can't check the Win95 PC right now (kids asleep in the room), but my 95 OS install CD actually has USB Support stamped on it and yesterday I installed the USB component plus the additional PCI bridge(?) software on the floppy originally supplied by Dell. Any good?

6. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mr Pleasant

Two apologies - 1) Should have checked whether 'Delkin' exists!, 2) Should have checked that USB support was introduced as a service release for Win 95!

The Delkin site certainly has Windows 95 Drivers, so there must be some level of support. There does not appear to be any useful support information regarding Win 95, so drew a blank there...

Have you searched on Google for this? I've had a quick look, and there seems to be a few people with the same problem. From http://www.google.com click on the 'Groups' section (newsgroups), and search for Delkin Win 95 or Delkin Win95 to see the threads on this. Click on the 'view thread' link to see all the notes in the thread.

I've only had a quick look, but you might find what you need...

Ohby the way, have you ensured that USB is enabled in your BIOS? Some motherboards allow you to turn it off if not needed.

Hope this helps

Super7

7. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmmm, the Windows 95 drivers are for their 'FlashPath' adaptor, which allows you to read Flash cards through a floppy disk drive. I presume this is not what you are using.

What model do you have?

8. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mr Pleasant

You could also try searching through the Microsoft support website. Try this link for starters.

Do you know what motherboard you have, or do you have a USB ISA/PCI card?

The search goes on... I'll be away from the PC now for a few days (aarrgghh!) , but good luck in finding a solution!

Super7

9. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Super7, thanks for the detective work. I think I've lucked out. There is a serial port option for transferring from camera to PC so I think that's my only option - I'm just disappointed that you only seem able to transfer shots by opening them in an application and saving them to a folder on the C:\ drive - a bit time consuming when you have a large batch to transfer. I'll give the Kodak website a try for alternatives.