• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

USB C tech question

RobinDB

How can you tell what standard a usb c to c cable is ?
ie usb 2.0, 3.0 etc

the c to b have blue plastic inner connector

thanks

Delta128

I've been wondering the same thing. I noticed USB 3.1 Gen 2 cables are thicker, otherwise they're likely to be USBC 2.0. In terms of markings, they're supposed to say SuperSpeed+ (SuperSpeed 10 Gbit/s) with logo but not actually seen this myself. The plug is identical and normally not colour coded.

I've put the 2 side by side are main difference seems to be the thickness of the cable.

Thunderbolt 3 also has the same connection. One would hope those are labelled with a lightning bolt to differentiate.

Loads of info there.

RobinDB

I have a few USB C cable but no idea why standard they comply to.

Seems to be an issue with some powering GoPro camera and iPad pro, but then not sure if its cable or 5v, 3amp supply. all odd.

Delta128

I know. They've not made it easy at all and good luck getting manufacturers to label them properly, if at all.

Supposedly, USB C is all supposed to be able to carry 3A. They're supposed to be either 3A or 5A but I suspect quality varies. Some are limited to 2.4A. I'd say go with the thicker, better quality looking ones for devices that need a bit more power.

Can't go wrong if you used a Thunderbolt 3 cable probably. If you have some which don't work with those devices, they're probably the lower spec'ed ones. Notice the thickness of the cable.

Oh and cable length matters too. Max 2M. Shorter the better I think.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom