Question USB-C multi Hub? Does one even exist currently?

Delta128

Hi all.

Does a USB-C to multiple USB-C hub exist? Not been able to find one. Only results I get are USB-C hubs with a USB-C PD power port and then a few USB A ports. Don't think the PD port supports data at all? The below adapter works but not with all devices apparently (with a USB C to USB A hub).

USB C to USB Male Adapter, Acessorz Mini Hi-speed USB: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Above is okay for flash drives and USB Headset (Received a headset today that surprised me with a USB C plug! Luckily had an adapter on hand) but apparently, devices like USB C monitors don't work. Tried it. (Got 2 USB C monitors) I've also concluded that USB A to USB C hubs doesn't exist as probably doesn't have the right hardware for this kind of conversion. The above adapters also don't work for this type of peripheral.

Anyone seen any USB Hubs with multiple USB ports? Surface Book 2 kindly only includes 1 USB C port. Thanks.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Monitors will typically be using the Type C connector's alt mode to carry DisplayPort, rather than the USB protocol, so you wouldn't expect them to work via a standard USB hub regardless of it's connectors.

I don't know what the USB spec says about alt mode and hub compatibility, whether it's left up to the individual alt mode or simply defined as not compatible.

DisplayPort does have it's own form of hub (MST Hub) so there may be something that could be worked out to combine them.

What is available are docks that'll provide a USB hub and multiple video outputs off a single USB/DP Type C connector which works for the typical setup where the displays aren't using anything except the video output.

Delta128

Hi there, Thanks for replying.

Yes. I assumed that was the case. Noticed only my thicker USB C cables worked with my portable monitors. Tried mixing and matching cables but that didn't work out.

I've also seen the USB Hubs / Docks offering multiple Display Outputs. I've got smaller versions with single display outputs but even the bigger ones with dual display options don't give you any extra USB C ports. Figured it was a power requirement but thinking maybe it isn't as you could have a mains powered hub. Maybe they'll be 'invented' at a later date.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
You could look at Thunderbolt 3 docks/hubs, I'm not sure about the intercompatibility in this scenario but Thunderbolt 3 is partly compatible with USB & DP alt mode - it uses the same Type C connector - so it's worth looking into if money is no object (they tend to run to £150+).

Delta128

Didn't think of that. Thanks.

Even then, can't find one that's actually in stock. Did come across a belkin USB C hub with 2 USBC but that's also OoS (that was USB C).

Even with a £150, I can't find a thunderbolt one. This one looks good if it's £150 but can't find one in this country.

£200 would too much. Luckily, no urgency. Just a nice have

Delta128

While I'd like one of those OWC thunderbolt hubs, I'm gonna order this instead.

Gives me an extra port. I'll keep an eye out for if I see a good deal of those bigger ones. Thanks for replies!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom