USB Bluetooth Audio Transmitter

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by Giles Davis, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Giles Davis

Giles Davis
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Can anyone recommend a USB Bluetooth Audio Transmitter for use with my HP Pavilion laptop?

I stupidly bought a laptop that doesn't have Bluetooth, so I need a transmitter so I can send audio files (from a CD or the audio stream from a DVD) from my laptop to my Naim amp (which can pick up Bluetooth signals thanks to an Arcam rBlink).

I had bought (and am about to send back) a 7Dayshop transmitter. Sadly the quality of the unit is dreadful; presumably because it picks up the audio signal to transmit from the 3.5 audio jack of the laptop.

I have since been told I really need something that (similar to the Audioquest Dragonfly v1.2) connects to the laptop via the USB 3.0 port, thus bypassing the internal DAC in the laptop.

Is anyone aware of a product that does this and produces a worthwhile listening experience?

Appreciate any help offered!

Giles

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    You won't go far wrong with this: Creative Bluetooth® Audio BT-D1 USB transmitter - Creative Labs (UK) But you can buy a lot cheaper. I use a Kensington USB Bluetooth dongle that cost £10 and it works great.

So long as the dongle support APT-X, you are laughing. This is the advanced Bluetooth codec that sends much nicer audio than the older A2DP ones, which were quite limited in their bit rate.

Make sure you have all the latest Windows service packs and be prepared to have to install a new BT Stack utility to get this to work correctly, but it really is quite straight forward.

3. Giles Davis

Giles Davis
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks noiseboy72. Really helpful (!!) and in the absence of any contradictory comments (well, any other comments at all) I'll go with the BT-D1. Found it for £33 so more than happy with that.

Only concern is whether it will work with Windows 8.0 (or 8.1) but I guess it will (I have asked the buyer and Creative buy as yet have not heard from either).

Just one thing; what's a BT Stack? I've looked online but I'm not the wiser or how it may affect what I am doing.

Anyway, as I said before, greatly appreciate the help.
    Best Regards
    Giles

4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    BT Stack is a program that (I think!) communicates between the dongle and PC, to tell the dongle what services to offer. I have an issue that my dongle worked, but would not show up in the audio device. It turned out the W7 stack did not support this, so I needed to download a 3rd party program (free) that did the job. I understand this has now been fixed however.