USB Audio Pro + Tidal + Dragonfly Cobalt query..

garrincha

alright guys. added a dragonfly cobalt to my 'listening on the hoof' set up. I added UAPP to the mix to take advantage of MQA

anyway, unless I'm mistaken, you can't listen to music through UAPP offline. and this is the kicker - I'm not able to listen to either Spotify or Tidal using the Cobalt, with the UAPP in the mix. there is ZERO sound. I have to take the cobalt out of the mix to get anything on these two platforms. which means listening through my crappy android DAC. is this right?

I've scoured the settings and had a look online, but can't seem to find anything. I'd like to be able to use the Cobalt for offline listening - but this is not happening at the moment. in the mean time, I've uninstalled the app and am having zero problems with the Tidal/Spotify through the Cobalt. however - with this set up, I cannot completely unfurl full MQA without the UAPP! madness!

hopefully someone will be able to help! I'm sure it's something I need to tweak in the settings

McCol

What phone are using with the Cobalt?

When you connect the Cobalt to the phone don't choose the UAPP option. This way you can use the Cobalt with other apps. The problem you might have is if you are using a Samsung handset. The S10 and S20 range don't work as they should and there is a pop/crackle sound every few seconds when music plays. UAPP solves this as it uses it's driver but obviously it doesn't support all services. The issue is around the sample rates and android drivers. UAPP and other phone manufacturers fix this by bypassing the default Android driver.

Samsung are refusing to fix the issue, it should be fixable as most other Android handsets can cope with this but for some reason Samsung won't fix. Been an issue for over 2 years. I've been told by Samsung that they can't guarantee that all 3rd party devices will work with their handsets.

Last edited:

kb33

I have a Cobalt and use it with a iPhone XR and a MacBook Pro , I only use Tidal with an hifi subscription . I get MQA on the master tracks in Tidal , But you have to set the bitrate in the Tidal app , I don't know nothing about UAPP , You can download offline stuff in Tidal and still get MQA .
Strange thing is I can't download music on Tidal with the MacBook . Be handy for flights etc

McCol

I have a Cobalt and use it with a iPhone XR and a MacBook Pro , I only use Tidal with an hifi subscription . I get MQA on the master tracks in Tidal , But you have to set the bitrate in the Tidal app , I don't know nothing about UAPP , You can download offline stuff in Tidal and still get MQA .
Strange thing is I can't download music on Tidal with the MacBook . Be handy for flights etc
UAPP(USB Audio Player Pro) is a handy app that uses it's own audio driver as oppose to the poorly implemented Android USB drivers, it bypasses them to ensure you get the full benefit of the player, however I don't think it is really required on the Iphone as they don't use the same type of drivers.

dannnielll

UAPP is an Android specific app, so forget it with an iPhone

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom