• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

USB 3 or SSD

adrian7396

Standard Member
Im upgrading to a Core i5-3570K on a GA Z77X UD3H.
I was considering getting a Samsung 250gb SSD, however
i see the Z77 supports USB 3, i get the impression that USB 3 and SSD
dont work well together, also that USB 3 is an alternative to SSD.
The other thing is im considering getting a new PC case and again the USB 3 question pops up
because some are USB 3.
Confused.
Regards all.

Last edited:

delta_42

Established Member
Hi Adrian, USB is a system for connecting mostly external devices, and isn't something that is relevant to your choice of system drive.

The Samsung SSDs are a great piece of kit, and I'd recommend one whole-heartedly, it will be a great match to a system on a Z77 board.

When it comes to cases, all USB3 refers to there is that any USB ports built into the case are USB 3 capable. It will really only be an issue if you're planning to make heavy use of external storage devices.

adrian7396

Standard Member
Yeh i see my error in comparing USB3 and SSD, there different technologies. Thanx for clearing that up and the PC case question.
Something that has come up regarding SSD's concerns heat issues and life span. Some articles suggest they can get very hot, much opinion seems to take it for granted they should
not get hot. As with longevity there are are articles that say expect your SSD to to last a couple of years, others suggest they could in theory ( due to a lack of mechanical parts ) last a lifetime. Any ideas welcome. I ordered a Samsung 340 250 gig from Amazon but cancelled it as i need to settle the reliability issues.
Regards all.

delta_42

Established Member
Hi Adrian, I've got 4 OCZ drives that are now about 3 or 4 years old and are still going strong, they're in an array in my gaming rig. Also technology is improving all the time. I read an article on SSD return rates to a big reseller, and they were at least in line with, and in many cases superior to the return rates on regular mechanical drives. Given the way the price is plummeting on SSDs, I wouldn't get too hung up on lifespan. Those OCZ drives of mine are 30Gb drives, I'd get around 250Gb of drive now for what I paid for each of them, and I just bought a 30GB drive for about £30! Even if your 250Gb drive does only last 3 years, you'll be able to replace it for a fraction of what you paid for it!

adrian7396

Standard Member
Thanx for the advice ive ordered a 128 gig samsung pro, iwas gonna get the 250 gig but i thought the 128 pro would be a better choice, couldnt afford
the 256 pro, so along with the case CM storm
depending on the post i shall be assembling my new PC:)
Then i can play MTW2 on it.
Thanx all for the superb advice.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom