USB 3.0 3m extension cable for TV

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought one of these for my future tv, with the need for playing media files from an external USB powered 2.5" caddy (USB 3.0) HDD. There is a problem with the cable and compatibility. Tested with various configurations and got he following....

2.5" caddy -> ext cable -> PC -> front USB 3.0 = not recognised (HDD just ticking over)
2.5" caddy -> ext cable -> PC -> rear (direct) motherboard USB 3.0 = message that drive needs formatting (which it does not)
3.5" docking station (USB 3,0) -> ext cable -> PC -> front or rear, not recognised.
USB 2.0 memory stick (2 models) -> ext cable -> PC = recognised on any socket and works fine.

So this leaves me with a useless cable for my needs, and wondering what to do from here. I might get away with a 2m cable if that helps, but 3m would be preferable. It could also be a USB 2.0 one if that might make any difference.

USB 3.0 cable specifications don't cover extensions but just say an individual cable has to meet specifications, unlike USB 2.0 which specifies cable must be able to combine up to 5 metres and still work.
Best avoided sadly.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom