1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usb 2.0???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by timculverhouse, Apr 3, 2003.

1. timculverhouse

timculverhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

How can I tell which type of USB port I have on my computer. I am thinking of buying a camcorder so I assume I will need a firewire port (which I don't have). However, will USB 2.0 do instead of firewire?? on a specifications website it says it transfers 480 mbps (a firewire port at 400 mbps).

Therefore if someone can tell me how to find out which type of USB port I'd be really grateful. :D

Many thanks

Tim

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    From the faq on usb.org;

I you are not sure if you have USB2, then you have USB1.1!

regards,
    Rob.

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Not for use with a camcorder unless it has a USB out port on it, which I have never seen. Firewire and USB are different ports entirely and transfer rate with an abilty to connect to each other different things.

4. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Device Manager --> System --> Device Manager (preceded by the "Hardware" tab in Windows 2000) -->Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Then double click to reveal the various hubs, devices and controllers. If you have USB 2.0 available, it should be clear here.

:)

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,925
    As GrahamC has already said, whether it's USB 1 or 2 is irelevant if you want to attach a camcorder. USB and Firewire are totally different.

When did you buy your computer or what motherboard do you have? USB 2 is a fairly recent thing so if your computer is 6months-1 year old then you probably haven't got USB 2.