• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

USB 2.0 over Cat6 recommendations

halifaxpeter

Standard Member
I know this has been asked a couple of years ago but the world moves on and there may be new solutions folk here may be aware of...

I need to connect a USB 2.0 device (at full bandwidth / signalling sync) over Cat 6 cable. If it makes a difference, the cable is in-wall and terminated at wall sockets so the solution needs to work as follows:

USB 2.0 device <=> wall ethernet socket <=> 10m of Cat6 cable <=> wall ethernet socket <=> PC

As far as I can see, there are plenty of cheap and cheerful USB 1.1 and 12mb/s USB 2.0 solutions but then there's a huge leap in price to true USB 2.0 solutions.

Any pointers to cost effective solutions / other advice very welcome!

andy1249

Distinguished Member
How about this ...

Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Macbook Air, Chromebook, Windows, Wii, Wii U, Linux, and Specific Android Tablets (ASIX AX88772 chipset): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It would help if you specifically said what device you are talking about and what exactly you want it to do , the above is limited in what it can do , it will connect a device that doesnt have a network port ( macbook air etc. ) to a network , but said device must have software that will enable this connection.

Last edited:

halifaxpeter

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply...I *suspect* that the adapters you suggested won't work. I'd need to use two 'adapters', one at either end of an in-wall Cat6 cable and I'm doubtful that these adapters can handle that.

The specific device I want to connect over Cat6 is a Native Instruments Traktor S2 (Traktor : Dj Controller : Traktor Kontrol S2 | Products).

I can't connect the Traktor S2 directly to the PC because the S2 sits on at a desk on the opposite side of the room to the PC, which is in an enclosed cabinet. A direct connection would mean trailing a long USB cable right across the middle of the room. (Having gone to the trouble and expense of installing in-wall cable, it's so annoying to get tripped up by something as simple as USB 2.0 connectivity!)

The room has Cat6 and HDMI cabling to four different points, all of which terminate back to the PC cabinet. I already use the in-wall HDMI cabling to connect my plasma monitor to the PC CPU in the cabinet. I want to use the same / similar method to connect the Traktor S2 to the CPU, thus avoiding the cable issue.

It turns out the S2 is quite fussy about its USB connectivity so the first (cheapo) Ebay solution didn't work - it wasn't "true" USB. So I'm looking for help!

Thanks in advance

Peter

andy1249

Distinguished Member
OK , I see , then what I posted definitely will not work , and to be honest , I know of nothing that will work !

Your running into protocol difficulties here , which requires intelligent devices at either end of the network cable to convert USB to IP protocol and back again at the other side.

I dont think any off the shelf adaptor will work for you.

larkone

Distinguished Member
There is this USB Over Ethernet Software - USB Over Ethernet - Share USB that allows remote connection to a usb device but it requires a PC at each end so I suppose you could get away with a an old/cheap laptop or nettop at the desk end. Not very elegant though.

Or there is this http://www.lindy.co.uk/blog/2009/04/09/extend-usb/ scroll down and they have a usb over ip solution but you should get it on sale or return in case it does not work with your device. The main issue is that USB signals have a time dependency otherwise they consider the command lost.

Last edited:

halifaxpeter

Standard Member
I hadn't seen the USB over s/w solution before so thanks for highlighting that to me.

But it sounds like we're all coming to the same conclusion, i.e. that there are cheap solutions to the simpler challenges but as soon as you get offpiste, it all gets very expensive.

The best (elegant) solution for , I think, is to keep an eye out for old - i.e. affordable - corporate solution kit like this Extron USB Extenders - USB Extender Series which makes its way on to Ebay!

Member 373730

Hi,

Unfortunately USB 2 over cat5/6 is still a very expensive technology.

We have a few units that could help but it depends on if you require a true IP unit or one that simply extends over a direct CAT5/6 cable.

We also have one that is software based that is much cheaper, but its limited in what devices can be connected.

USB Extension - CAT5 USB 2.0 Extender (up to 100m) | Extension | USB Cables | USB & FireWire | LINDY UK
USB 2.0 CAT5 Extender Pro, 100m | Extension | USB Cables | USB & FireWire | LINDY UK
USB 2.0 Extension - 4 Port CAT5 USB 2.0 Extender Hub (up to 150m) | Extension | USB Cables | USB & FireWire | LINDY UK

Best Regards

Chris

halifaxpeter

Standard Member
I'm looking for straight-forward USB over Cat 5/6 cable, with the USB connection going directly into the PC (not e.g. via a USB hub) at one end, and directly into the device (Traktor S2) at the other. If anything, I'm trying to avoid going via an IP connection, I suspect that's what the previous (cheapo) solution I tried to fail. As I wrote earlier in this thread, the only minor complication is that the Cat6 cable is in-wall so the connection has to go via two ethernet sockets, one at either end. Of your suggested solutions, which would you recommend in this situation? Thanks in advance!

Member 373730

Hi,

42697 would be the one I'd recommend since it doesn't use any software. The Tracktor S2 probably doesn't install as a device supported by the cheaper model unfortunately.

The two sockets and the in wall cable should be no problem and with a short run like that.

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom