USB 2.0 10/100 LAN Adaptor

Crank090865

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just purchased the above adaptor for my laptop that does not have a LAN port or media player as the item came with the driver on CD-ROM.

How do I find the appropriate driver online?

For something that old it's almost certainly already included in the normal driver repository of your OS. That is, it should automatically install an appropriate driver once you plug in the hardware.

Are you having problems with it?

Last edited:
Initially plug in the adaptor, windows may already have the adapter driver in its database. If not do a search on the name of the adapter to find the manufacturer's website support section where you should find a driver.
Alternatively plug in the adapter go to device manager and look for an unknown device
Right click and choose update driver and search windows update
If you post the name and model of the adapter we may be able to find it for you

Initially plug in the adaptor, windows may already have the adapter driver in its database. If not do a search on the name of the adapter to find the manufacturer's website support section where you should find a driver.
Alternatively plug in the adapter go to device manager and look for an unknown device
Right click and choose update driver and search windows update
If you post the name and model of the adapter we may be able to find it for you
Hi,
Have tried your suggestions with no luck.

it’s a generic dongle / adaptor in white with the part number 9700 printed on it.

OK, go back to device manager, right click on the unknown device again this time
Click properties, details, in the drop down box choose hardware ID, right click and copy the string of letters numbers begining with PCI\VENxxxxxxxxx similar to the one shown in the image
1615396962383.png

Google that string and it will give you a list of hardware manufacturers and driver finder/support sites. Be careful of the many sites that say they will find a driver, they are often littered with PUPs and malware.

I suspect you have a corechips RD9700 USB-Ethernet adapter. I have uploaded for you what I think is the correct driver. If the forums administrators allow it, it will need unzipping. It is for windows 8 but should work for Windows 10. I have scanned it and it is free of viruses. Your only other alternative is to find someone with an optical drive and copy the drivers onto a USB flash drive

Attachments

• CoreChips_RD-9700_Win.zip
    32.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Apologies for the slow reply. But it’s been one of those months!

I eventually found the USB3.0 LAN adaptor that I thought I had lost! Connected up and it worked effortlessly! So I ended up binning the USB2.0 adaptor for what it was.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom