1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Bryce Curdy, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I right in thinking if iI buy a USA Xbox and USA HD supported games I will get HD on my Pioneer plasma which supports this resolution.

Where's a good place to get the machines from, and how do you modify the voltage? I assume only USA games will work.

Are there issues with Xbox live. Does a UK and a USA version of the same game 'speak' to each other? Would I be able to use Xbox live with my friend in Denver, USA who uses a USA machine?

The other hardware and software modifications to achieve this sound more complicated.

Thanks for any help.

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Apparently they work on Live. You will only be able to play US games on it obviously. I have not heard of any compatability problems playing people in other regions, Live is a worldwide network afterall, I play yanks all the time.
    They volatage is no problem you can pick up adapters for around £10 that sort this.

For the amount of hastle why not just get a switchable chip fitted. Will work out a lot cheaper.

3. Bryce Curdy

Bryce Curdy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice. Does the switchable chip work for all Xbox games? I think I read here there's sometimes problems, including with Halo 2. Where would I find someone to chip the machine?

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not up on the latest rumours, but it sounds like even some people with switchable chips have been banned from XBox Live since Halo 2 was released. You might want to do some research on the various mod chips if you're planning on taking the box online.

5. jamesvtidohc

jamesvtidohc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    the only xbox with modchips that have been banned are those who have an upgraded hard drive.

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well thats not true I am afraid. Some people with the soft hack have been done as well apparently. I have an uprated HD and switchable chip and have been playing Halo 2 on live since launch with no problem thus far (Touch wood)

Its thought the problem is if you are using live, then chip your machine they have a record of the initial factory fit settings when you sign up for live and then notice the change once its chipped.

You can get them chipped at computer fairs, I got a friends done in Bowlers in Manchester a couple of weeks ago with the latest auto switch chip uprated 120 gig HD and all the software install (Xb media player, region free dvd, HD loader etc etc etc) for £100

7. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Softmodding is still the way to go if you want HD from an XBox. I bought a new PAL Crystal, softmodded it to switch video standard and then cleared all the evidence off. Plays fine on Live and is very easy to do.

EffTee

8. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If HD is HiDef, then yes, almost.

YOu'll get progressive from a US xbox, 480p, which is better than 480i if you're watching on a big screen. If a game doesn't support 1080i, then a US xbox won't help.

You'll need the component hidef cable pack from MS aswell.

A voltage adapter is £40, not £10. you could also buy a new internal power supply for £40 if preferable.

US Xbox can play UK xbox gamers no problem, although in my experience they tend to kick arse better ;)

I get my US games from videogames in canada, about £35 posted to your door. remember you can't play uk games, etc.

If you import your own console, you'll have trouble with support.

progressive was important enought to me to go the US route.
    good luck.

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I paid £10 for mine. They are freely available for this or less in the states. I have never purchased one online but £40 sounds unbelievably expensive for what it is really.

10. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    you're lucky. show me where.
    It's true you can get a us to uk voltage adapter for a tenner, but not one with a 150w capacity, which is what you need for xbox.

go less and it'll work for a while, and then start smelling.

And these aren't light, there's still quite heavy, so I can't imagine what shipping would be?

11. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My self modded UK Xbox with official MS Hidef cable from Lik Sang finally saw the joys of NTSC high def last night:), THUG2 was superb in 750p [anyone know why 750 and not 720p as I expected?]

Anyways, all hooked up to a Pioneer 435 and quite simply superb visuals, also played burnout 3 which showed up as 525p and again very nice definition, all my other pal stuff looks much more vibrant colourwise than before.

I don't play any Xbox live so cannot comment on the rest of your queery