1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

usa vs uk

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by paulee, Aug 30, 2004.

1. paulee

paulee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can someone please advice a simpleton, will digital camcorder purchased in the United States work in the UK. :confused:

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I know it is an attractive proposition because of price to buy from the USA but if you should or not in my opinion will ultimatey come down to where it is going to be used most. If you are from the USA working/studying here for a while yes buy one, but if you live & work here permanently don't.

Although it will probably work here US & UK TV systems are very different. They use NTSC we have PAL. Their video runs at 30fps ours 25fps. They have different resolutions & black levels. Whilst it is true that most modern TVs here will play NTSC material some will only play it in pseudo PAL fashion (PAL60) which is a compromise.

It is even worse if you go back the other way because most US TV sets don't play PAL at all.

What looks like an attractive proposition initially on price may not turn out such a bargain as well when you factor in import duty , VAT & warranty problems.

Just my pennies worth (or should I say 2 cents)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Hi paulee and welcome to the forum :hiya:

I agree with everything vonhosen has said. Also if you do a search on this part of the forum you will see that this question has been asked many times before and I think the advise has always been to not buy from USA. Read a few of the old posts and you will get a lot of good reasons why.

Mark.