USA / UK DVD compatability

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by willyworm, Dec 30, 2004.

1. willyworm

willyworm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello out there

I have a house in Florida, and want to be able to play DVDs I've recorded here, over there. As yet I do not own a DVD in either location. Can anybody advise a good brand/model that would allow me to do this, or is there any technical problem that would prevent me from doing this? I can either buy both here and take one out, or preerably buy one here and buy one over there. :clap:

regards

Willyworm

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I think you biggest problem will be ensuring your TV/display is PAL compatible in Florida.

Some but not all DVD players sold in the US are able to play NTSC and PAL. You would have to do some homework if you bought a DVD player in the US if you intended to play PAL material.

You might be better off buying a DVD player in the UK which you know is PAL/NTSC compatible but ensure it has S-Video to hook it up (for best pic quality) as the USA don't use SCART. Don't know your budget but you could also go the DVI/HDMI route for connection if you have a display with either connector.

Do remember though that UK player use different voltage so you would need a step down transformer to use a UK DVD player in the US.

3. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

There a several ebay sellers in the US who do them. I bought a mini version for my mum that transfers the PAL signal to NTSC.

Cost about 70-ish$

Last time I looked they're about 34$ assuming you don't want one that does DivX and MPEG/AVI playback.

http://search.ebay.com/pal-DVD-player_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8

The panasonic E30 (imagine other models too) will do NTSC or PAL. Would need to look at the manual to see if they use a switch mode power supply - if yes then it will work out there.

Better to buy in US as it will be cheaper.

Hope this helps.

M

4. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Very difficult to find a TV that supports Pal in the states. I had to trol the shops for weeks to find one. I'd say about 1 TV in 100 will support PAL discs. DVD players is much easier. All new phillips ones will play pal for example.