1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA to make fast forwarding illegal ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tabatha, Nov 23, 2004.

1. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I never watch adverts on tv these days. With NTL digital I'll flick through the channels during the break, or turn the sound off. With programmes of an hour or so I'll often record the programme, (onto dvdr's HDD), but delay watching it for 20 mins. then I can start watching it from the beginning and just skip through the adverts. Then simply delete the programme afterwards. Rather that than sit through 16 mins worth of adverts per hour. :laugh:

I can't see how they can prevent me from using my dvd recorder in that way. Unless they include macro copy protection in broadcasts. If they were to do that on a significant number of broadcasts I'd think seriously about cancelling altogether. To be honest, apart from Sky Sports, there isn't all that much on NTL that couldn't watch on free to air.

3. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't doing that be an infringment on your civil liberties, something the Americans are always going on about??

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Likewise - I watch everything through Sky+ or my DVD recorder and just fast forward past the advert breaks at 30x speed. I'm sure most people do these days - but then you do have to wonder why any company would pay for the programming if they no nobody is watching their commercials? Thank god for the advert free BBC!

I saw this on CDR Info - very disturbing - a subscription service that is forcing users to watch their advertising. :rolleyes: Where will it end?

5. Mikey45

Mikey45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Thank god for the advert free BBC!"

Except that when's the last time deer old Beeb broadcast a decent film?! All the good stuff is coming out on C4 or Channel5 at the moment - I haven't recorded and kept anything from the BBC in recent months. And the same's true for comedy drama - they didn't have anything to offer up against GreenWing - why, oh why didn't I record the first 4 episodes! It took a while to grow on me but then it took hold - brilliant!!!

6. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That's until their government starts to announce that fast forwarding through adverts helps terrorists.

7. bigsby

bigsby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :smashin:

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    ...well I suppose it depends on taste. I have watched and recorded loads of things from the BBC recently. Indeed 95% of my TV viewing is on BBC channels...