USA Road Trip 2020

True Romance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So currently planning a USA road trip for next year. Flights are booked into and out of Chicago. List of places we are looking to visit and map below. Any road trippers who could offer any advice on if this is feasible over 3 weeks and any places of interest on route?

Chicago 2 nights

Onto Sandusky (cedar point) for 2 nights

Onto Niagara (Canada side) for 1 night

Onto Hershey Park for 2 nights

Onto Washington for 1 night

Onto Charlotte (carowinds theme park) for 2 nights

Onto Pigeon Forge (Dollywood for 2 nights)

Onto Nashville for 2 nights

Onto Memphis for 2 nights

Onto Branson (Silver dollar city) for 2 nights

Onto St Louis for 2 nights

Onto Chicago for 1 night and flight home.

USA roadtrip.JPG

Thanks.

Looks a great trip :thumbsup:
Re Niagara. I'm sure you are aware but worth mentioning:
You enter the US at Chicago, enter Canada then re-enter the US?
Check to see if you need to fill in the entry forms for Canada and a new one for re-entry to the US. Not sure how relaxed border control are about that on that border.
We got into a bit of bother going to the middle of a Rio Grande bridge. Border control insisted that we had left the US and were trying to re-enter via a point different to our original forms.

Looks a great trip :thumbsup:
Re Niagara. I'm sure you are aware but worth mentioning:
You enter the US at Chicago, enter Canada then re-enter the US?
Check to see if you need to fill in the entry forms for Canada and a new one for re-entry to the US. Not sure how relaxed border control are about that on that border.
We got into a bit of bother going to the middle of a Rio Grande bridge. Border control insisted that we had left the US and were trying to re-enter via a point different to our original forms.
Yes well noted, hoping there will be no difficulties? Follow a UK youtube guy who has recently done a massive usa theme park road trip including crossing into Canada via Niagara without any problems. Will do some more research on this.

any places of interest on route?
Onto Washington for 1 night

What are you hoping to see in Washington in 1 night?
We went for a week and still had plenty to discover :)

We stayed in an Air BnB in Dupont Circle, the MTA is easy to use and gets you downtown easily.
Be aware there are some neighbourhoods that are supposed to be very dangerous, we didn't encounter any trouble at all but take care when you're driving around you don't end up somewhere off the beaten track.

You could do the walk of the National Mall - from the Lincoln Memorial via the White House and Washington Memorial up to the Capitol. We did (most of that) as part of one day, then on recommendation went back after dark which was better. If you only see it at one or the other I'd suggest the evening.
Google Maps

The National Mall has loads of brilliant, free museums and galleries and the National Archive (Declaration of Independence) depending on your interests and time available.

If you're in any way interested in Space Flight or Aviation the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum is a must - the National Mall branch has the Apollo 11 capsule and the Wright Brother's Flyer.

If you can make it out to Dulles Airport, the Udvar Hazy Center is fabulous and has - among other things the Space Shuttle Discovery. It's free to enter but you'll pay to park. It was virtually empty when we visited.
Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

Google Maps

If you like animals then the Smithsonian National Zoological Park is also brilliant - they have Pandas!

This Flickr album covers our trip to NYC and D.C. which we did by Amtrak.
New York and Washington, 17th August - 1st September 2016

Thank you. Tbh Washington was going to be just a flying visit, get up early (Sunday so hoping traffic will be a little lighter?) do the photos and onto the next place. Not originally on our plan but it's almost on route.

Problem is we could miss out other spots but we'd still need to stop overnight somewhere going to the next destination anyway. Probably trying to do too much but don't think this is something we'll ever do again.

Great photos of NYC & DC AMc.

Nashville & Memphis were pretty good 15 years ago - won't recommend anywhere as my advice is out of date - plenty to do and see for a couple of days in each, esp. Graceland and Country Music Hall of Fame.

What's the total mileage for your planned trip? Subjectively it looks more than I'd want to do in three weeks - I aim for something under 2,500 miles in total, with daily mileages under 200. The USA's a great country for driving, but you ned to give yourself time to see the interesting stuff en route.

Crossing into Canada won't be a problem; just make sure that you inform your car rental company that you intend to drive in Canada so that they can give you a form confirming that their insurance covers it.

What's the total mileage for your planned trip? Subjectively it looks more than I'd want to do in three weeks - I aim for something under 2,500 miles in total, with daily mileages under 200. The USA's a great country for driving, but you ned to give yourself time to see the interesting stuff en route.

Crossing into Canada won't be a problem; just make sure that you inform your car rental company that you intend to drive in Canada so that they can give you a form confirming that their insurance covers it.
Thanks. Looking like 3000 miles give or take. Some runs are going to be 300-400 miles and others around 200. Know its going to be a lot of driving but may not have the opportunity to do a trip like this again so trying to do/see as much as possible.

So all hotels apart from last night now booked via booking.com with pay at hotel so if plans change or we find a better place swapping should be easy. Last night to book and have been looking for a small "picture postcard" town on the way back to O'Hare airport. Nashville was by far the most expensive place for hotels. :eek:

View Niagara from the Canadian side. Did it in August... Much better. Didn't even bother with the US side.

We stayed on the American side and got a bus across to the Canadian side, definitely better views over there. If you do the same remember to keep your passport on you as they do check them both ways.

We stayed on the American side and got a bus across to the Canadian side, definitely better views over there. If you do the same remember to keep your passport on you as they do check them both ways.

I remembered to take my passport, but because I don't usually carry it, I forgot to take it out of my pocket when I got back to the US (I was also very drunk!) At our next stop in Vermont, it ended up going through the wash :blush:

Have booked hotel on the Canadian side but never thought about getting a bus from the USA side? Saying that want to be up very early at crack of dawn to get the best photo's and get out before the crowds arrive.

Have booked hotel on the Canadian side but never thought about getting a bus from the USA side? Saying that want to be up very early at crack of dawn to get the best photo's and get out before the crowds arrive.

We went on a “Niagara Falls in one day“ tour through Viator. It included a trip on Maid of the Mist, a walking tour of Cave of the Winds, a tour to the Canadian side which included entry to the Skylon Tower. Hotel pick up and drop off included. Highly recommended, we had a great day. Worth checking out.

So looks like this trip is going to be out the window like many others. Not complaining as these are unprecedented times but was so looking forward to this.

Bummer, but surely you can rearrange flights once things settle. I’ve always wanted to do the West Coast ocean road trip from LA to Vancouver. There’s too much to see!

So looks like this trip is going to be out the window like many others. Not complaining as these are unprecedented times but was so looking forward to this.

When was it scheduled for?

We were due to fly out today, was gutted at first, but never mind. Most of the money is being refunded and the bits that aren't will be claimed on the insurance.

End of June. Can't see things improving by then.
We were half way through booking a long trip around the same time.
Vancouver>Seattle>Portland> Train to Chicago > Train to NYC.
Now just waiting for the official advice to go out beyond our trip dates so we can cancel everything and claim on the insurance for anything not covered.
Really disappointing.
I'm not complaining about the restrictions - it's obviously the right thing to do - but still gutting all the same.

Yep it's all disappointing but this has taken a rather serious turn. Thankfully I booked all hotels through booking.com on a pay on arrival basis so ok there. Flights due to be paid in May so going to loose deposit of £300. However I paid £800 for a number of theme park tickets that I doubt I'll get back. Still there is more important things to worry about at the moment.

Everyone stay safe.

Your travel insurance (you do have insurance, right?) should, I think, pay up for anything non-refundable if you cancel because of external, official, advice or restriction. Give or take your excess. Many suppliers are relaxing their no-cancel/no refund terms as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom