USA - racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it was failing in the ratings for years, revamped a number of times, and finally axed. Went from being a high ratings monthly family essential viewing in the 80s when there was no internet and just four channels to an ineffective relic. Went the same way as Brookside and Top Of The Pops.

And now the usual suspects have pulled this excellent trope out of their arse. Lapped up by their sheep.

I must admit that I did spend a fair few minutes looking into this and didn’t really find a single article to support the claim that it was racial tensions.

One is too many.

Why are we talking about America and its issues then? It has nothing to do with us?

Why not discuss the 22000 sexual abused children by gangs in the North? Why not discuss why no one marched for Lee Rigby when he was murdered?

It's racial inequality, that's why.

For those using Lee Rigby to make some false equivalence, here's his mother's opinion.
Family hurt by social media posts

If I've just heard it correctly they're upgrading the charge on Chauvin to 1st degree murder.

If so that's a huge statement. Even the family were only asking for it to be upgraded to 2nd degree.

Edit: no looks like it is 2nd degree. But the other officers will now be facing charges too.

Edit Edit! Not yet confirmed by the AG.

Think its confirmed: upgrade to 2nd degree murder, and aiding and abetting murder for the other three.

I want to apologise for the agressive/adversarial tone I took in my last few posts to @walters123 - I've deliberately stayed on the sidelines with the thread because I knew where it was heading and how it would be hijacked (and who would be doing it :)). Still waiting for the perennial MOBO awards comments and responses. Anyway, I was fed up and didn't sound too friendly. No need to feed those arsehole politicians and celebrity thugs pulling us apart.

Reading that ridiculous pyramid and its endless word salad of injunctions and accusations, basically makes it impossible for white people to avoid being racist (which I think is the whole idea). How the **** are we meant to follow those rules? When colour blindness is prohibited, and we aren't even allowed to ask a POC how to behave (because 'its not up to them to educate us'). It's like walking through a minefield blindfolded.

It reminds me of a religious text that basically asserts that all humans are sinners and creates an impossible standard to reach. As Christopher Hitchens used to put it, "created sick, and commanded to be well".

No thanks. You bend the knee to that if you want. I'll stick to just treating people as equals and that will have to be good enough.

Take it up with MLK's daughter, good luck with that :laugh:

Take it up with MLK's daughter, good luck with that :laugh:

I don't have to take it up with anyone. MLK's 'I have a dream' speech is what stands the test of time, not a gender studies powerpoint presentation full of woke weasel words.

The way social media is kicking off in the UK I am beginning to suspect the death actually occurred here and not in the States.....

Will these same thugs protesters be out on the streets screaming for the human rights of others around the world that suffer great injustices from their governments?

The way social media is kicking off in the UK I am beginning to suspect the death actually occurred here and not in the States.....

Will these same thugs protesters be out on the streets screaming for the human rights of others around the world that suffer great injustices from their governments?

I have a militant fb friend who I've had to mute for that exact reason. Some of what she's reposting is absurd and hysterical, bordering on hatred. One tirade even claimed it was 'disgusting' to clap the NHS or support mental health charities, and not be part of the riots (the word 'riots' was used, not protests).

I do appreciate our calm sense of solidarity however. There's a peaceful protest/ vigil going on at my local park, heading down there on my lunchbreak to take a look.

I don't have to take it up with anyone. MLK's 'I have a dream' speech is what stands the test of time, not a gender studies powerpoint presentation full of woke weasel words.

And that in a nutshell is why we still have racism, white people deciding what constitutes racism and racist language

I have a militant fb friend who I've had to mute for that exact reason. Some of what she's reposting is absurd and hysterical, bordering on hatred. One tirade even claimed it was 'disgusting' to clap the NHS or support mental health charities, and not be part of the riots (the word 'riots' was used, not protests).

I do appreciate our calm sense of solidarity however. There's a peaceful protest/ vigil going on at my local park, heading down there on my lunchbreak to take a look.

I have one that keeps posting the same thing concerning those killed by others that are not police/military etc.
Even posting a polite message that this is terrible that it is a citizen of another country that has been killed by those paid to protect life etc has fallen on death ears.

And that in a nutshell is why we still have racism, white people deciding what constitutes racism and racist language

That isn't why we still have racism. And that wasn't what I was 'deciding'.

You are aware that black people have more than one opinion dont you? There are a range of views when it comes to tackling these issues, and they dont all fit inside your 'nutshell'.

I want to apologise for the agressive/adversarial tone I took in my last few posts to @walters123 - I've deliberately stayed on the sidelines with the thread because I knew where it was heading and how it would be hijacked (and who would be doing it :)). Still waiting for the perennial MOBO awards comments and responses. Anyway, I was fed up and didn't sound too friendly. No need to feed those arsehole politicians and celebrity thugs pulling us apart.

Honestly no need to apologise I’m at fault for posting stuff without anything to back it up. One of my faults as a person is I mean well but it don’t always look that way

Some eye opening stats here about police/crimes/race in the USA:

e.g.
US police have 375 million encounters with civilians a year They killed 1004 people last year. 235 of these were black. 226 of the black fatalities were armed (96%) 9 unarmed blacks & 19 unarmed whites were killed by US police last year, out of a population of 330 million

Rioters looting a moving Train. Is nothing safe?

So are you saying that everything any non-white person considers racism is racism purely because they said so? What happens if two of them disagree? Is it racist to decide which of them we disagree with? Do we have to agree with both?

So are you saying that everything any non-white person considers racism is racism purely because they said so? What happens if two of them disagree? Is it racist to decide which of them we disagree with? Do we have to agree with both?

I hate whataboutery usually but I am going to indulge myself here for the sake of playing the Devil's Advocate (Hi @Wahreo!!!)

Would you make the same statement but substitute non-white for Jewish and racism for anti-semitism (which is a form of racism)?

In other words, your statement above would read as follows:

So are you saying that everything any Jewish person considers anti-semitism is anti-semitism purely because they said so? What happens if two of them disagree? Is it anti-semitic to decide which of them we disagree with? Do we have to agree with both?

Why do we all pretty much think my amendment to @InvisibleDuncan's statement is wrong but some of us don't apply the same logic for his original statement?

Last edited:
I hate whataboutery usually but I am going to indulge myself here for the sake of playing the Devil's Advocate (Hi @Wahreo!!!)

Would you make the same statement but substitute non-white for Jewish and racism for anti-semtism (which is a form of racism)?

In other words, your statement above would read as follows:

So are you saying that everything any Jewish person considers anti-semitism is anti-semitism purely because they said so? What happens if two of them disagree? Is it anti-semitic to decide which of them we disagree with? Do we have to agree with both?

Why do we all pretty much think my amendment to @InvisibleDuncan's statement is wrong but some of us don't apply the same logic for his original statement?

In fairness, racism is a much more nebulous term (especially in modern times) than anti-semitism. According to that white supremacy diagram from before, almost everything is racist including 'trying not to be'. There appears to be a continuum. I dont know if one can say the same for anti-semitism. Not least because Jewish people are mostly white.

I've never heard a Jewish person complain about such things as 'tokenism' 'colorblindness' 'cultural appropriation' or 'good intentions not being enough'. But every Jew understands what it means to be hated. The through-line from religious discrimination to the gas chambers is pretty clear from history.

In fairness, racism is a much more nebulous term (especially in modern times) than anti-semitism. According to that white supremacy diagram from before, almost everything is racist including 'trying not to be'. There appears to be a continuum. I dont know if one can say the same for anti-semitism. Not least because Jewish people are mostly white.

I've never heard a Jewish person complain about such things as 'tokenism' 'colorblindness' 'cultural appropriation' or 'good intentions not being enough'. But every Jew understands what it means to be hated. The through-line from religious discrimination to the gas chambers is pretty clear from history.

So, in your opinion, the essence of the difference is that anti-semitism is something tightly defined (who by, which was part of my question?) and doesn't as far as you're aware, use terms you don't agree with (face it, it's the best explanation as to why you picked those terms). They also, unlike other races, understands what it means to be hated (must be a Jewish genetic thing, as no Jewish baby is born understanding this). And their history of persecution is clear, compared, to say slavery from Africa, apartheid, segregation, Jim Crowe laws, suss laws, crude cartoon racial stereotypes, etc...

Ok then...

So, in your opinion, the essence of the difference is that anti-semitism is something tightly defined (who by, which was part of my question?) and doesn't as far as you're aware, use terms you don't agree with (face it, it's the best explanation as to why you picked those terms). They also, unlike other races, understands what it means to be hated (must be a Jewish genetic thing, as no Jewish baby is born understanding this). And their history of persecution is clear, compared, to say slavery from Africa, apartheid, segregation, Jim Crowe laws, suss laws, crude cartoon racial stereotypes, etc...

Ok then...

Why have you deliberately chosen to misunderstand and misrepresent me?

Why have you deliberately chosen to misunderstand and misrepresent me?

I'm sorry you feel that way. I read what you wrote and interpreted it. I don't see what else I could have done. If you're concerned that I've deliberately chosen this then I don't know what to say as you're accusing me of something I wouldn't do. I'm also concerned that your defence mechanism is to assume my comments are a deliberate action.

I can't respond further without (a) wondering if you'll accuse me of the same again or (b) knowing specifically what it is that you think I have done wrong.

I'm happy to learn - I hope you are too.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I read what you wrote and interpreted it. I don't see what else I could have done. If you're concerned that I've deliberately chosen this then I don't know what to say as you're accusing me of something I wouldn't do. I'm also concerned that your defence mechanism is to assume my comments are a deliberate action.

I can't respond further without (a) wondering if you'll accuse me of the same again or (b) knowing specifically what it is that you think I have done wrong.

I'm happy to learn - I hope you are too.

You two should have a phone call, as the written word is hard to pass emotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom