USA not so cheap

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So just got back from the US and had a look for some Blurays, Best buy seemed the best overall, however although there were a few offers on I think overall it's cheaper to buy UK blus these days, IM2 was still $25 and most new releases seemed to be in the $25-30 range, the odd one or two were on offer which I picked up but the other retailers were charging full whack for older titles. Anyway my latest buys were
Kick ass $13 (triple edition with slip) was on offer reduced from $30
Predators $16 (triple edition) on offer reduced from $30
predator 1 and 2 box set $32
superman returns (true HD version) $26
rambo4 extended cut $8.50 (bargain)
All prices include NY tax

So just got back from the US and had a look for some Blurays, Best buy seemed the best overall, however although there were a few offers on I think overall it's cheaper to buy UK blus these days, IM2 was still $25 and most new releases seemed to be in the $25-30 range, the odd one or two were on offer which I picked up but the other retailers were charging full whack for older titles. Anyway my latest buys were

I'm in the US at the moment too (heading home in a few days). Where did you see Predators triple edition for $16? I saw it in Walmart for $25, but it had a sticker saying it was an exclusive. I'd pick it up for $16.

I thought Best Buy had the best offers and picked up Kick-Ass and Rambo4 like you did.

We're spoiled here in the UK for Blu-ray pricing which is why so many people shop here now online.

Tax havens (where Amazon Europe (UK), Play, HMV etc etc are either based and/or ship from) were going to be a good thing eventually for most people* :D

Very recently some pricing has dropped in Germany and France I've noticed for re-releases but they still ain't as low as our prices.

US prices ain't cheap for these pretty dumb triple/bonus tat releases becauses not many people want them (ie can't afford them instore and/or don't 'get them') because there's a lot of added production cost and not much value for the consumer really. A waste of shelf space and seriously hobble Blu-ray I'd say.

I had some Blu-rays sent over from the USA for a relative (triple play Walmart rubbish) and the "Blu-ray" label was the smallest thing on it. "DVD" is still king for the instore shelf.

*Except Her Most Royal Majesty, the Queen of England's inland revenue tax collectors.

I'm in the US at the moment too (heading home in a few days). Where did you see Predators triple edition for $16? I saw it in Walmart for $25, but it had a sticker saying it was an exclusive. I'd pick it up for $16.

I thought Best Buy had the best offers and picked up Kick-Ass and Rambo4 like you did.[/QUOTE
Bought them all in Best Buy mate, if your in NY it was the one on 5th Ave and 44th st, it was stickered with $29.99 but on the shelf underneath it said $14.99 plus tax. Really had to look around in there as there labelling wasnt the best, good luck:smashin:

Who in the UK are you comparing with? I think all those prices you've quoted compare favourably compared to most high street stores such as HMV.

BestBuy is one of the worst actually. On the west coast Fry's Electronics are excellent. Wally mart are usually good for the odd bargain and if you go online there are bargains aplenty. UK bluray prices have come down a lot in the last 12 months and are very competitive now.

I was in the US in September and was also disappointed with the prices. Apart from a few $8 bargains in best buy I didn't buy anything else because I could get them all for similar if not cheaper price online in the UK.

Bought them all in Best Buy mate, if your in NY it was the one on 5th Ave and 44th st, it was stickered with $29.99 but on the shelf underneath it said $14.99 plus tax. Really had to look around in there as there labelling wasnt the best, good luck:smashin:

I'm on the west coast. I only saw a 2-disc Predators in BB for $19.95. They must have different offers across the country.

Whenever I've travelled to the USA, I always check prices on amazon.com and then have ordered from them to my hotel or wherever I'm staying. As long as I time it correctly they tend to be the best for prices.

BestBuy is one of the worst actually. On the west coast Fry's Electronics are excellent. Wally mart are usually good for the odd bargain and if you go online there are bargains aplenty. UK bluray prices have come down a lot in the last 12 months and are very competitive now.

I thought BB were quite good. Their regular prices are terrible, but they have good offers. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to visit Fry's yet.

Whenever I've travelled to the USA, I always check prices on amazon.com and then have ordered from them to my hotel or wherever I'm staying. As long as I time it correctly they tend to be the best for prices.

This is what I have done and I went a bit overboard. Sign up for Amazon Prime too (there are lots of ways to get it for free for a limited period) and you'll get 2-day or release date shipping on everything for free. Also, not sales tax!

I thought BB were quite good. Their regular prices are terrible, but they have good offers. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to visit Fry's yet.

This is what I have done and I went a bit overboard. Sign up for Amazon Prime too (there are lots of ways to get it for free for a limited period) and you'll get 2-day or release date shipping on everything for free. Also, not sales tax!

Try to go to a Fry's if you get a chance- they are excellent. To see their daily special offers you can view their newspaper ad online thru the San Jose Mercury News...

http://www.mercurynews.com/

then click SHOPPING tab, click newspaper ads online..that takes you to San Jose Newspaper Ads then click on Computers & Electronics in the Shopping section....takes you here....

http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/ROP/Subcat.aspx?cat=3339&subcat=3525

If you look under ad for Nov 14th they have Last Of The Mohicans for $14.99. You may be able to claim all Sales Taxes back at the airport when you are leaving the country...for example, $14.99- $1.24
(8.25%) = $13.75...so about 10 euro!

Last edited:
Sorry mate I was incorrect in my last post...sales tax is added onto advertised prices. So its 14.99 plus 8.25% sales tax.

Sorry mate I was incorrect in my last post...sales tax is added onto advertised prices. So its 14.99 plus 8.25% sales tax.

No problem. The nearest Fry's is a bit of a drive from here and I'm leaving on Sunday, so probably won't have time. Wouldn't be able to carry much more home anyway!

No problem. The nearest Fry's is a bit of a drive from here and I'm leaving on Sunday, so probably won't have time. Wouldn't be able to carry much more home anyway!

Pity you won't have time for Fry's- the best shop ever in my opinion- every electronic gadget under the sun at a decent price! CostCo is another place for bargains...you'll need to fill out temp membership form at the store tho. They are all over the place...assuming there is any space left in your luggage of course! :D

assuming there is any space left in your luggage of course! :D

That's the problem! I've been here for 3 months and picked up all kinds of stuff including blu-rays (and an Oppo to play 'em in). Don't know how I'll get it all to the airport!

That's the problem! I've been here for 3 months and picked up all kinds of stuff including blu-rays (and an Oppo to play 'em in). Don't know how I'll get it all to the airport!

You might get caught by customs at the airport in Ireland as I heard they are really cracking down on overseas shopping at the moment. Any electronic items you have owned less than 12 months outside Ireland I believe are taxable so hide all that stuff very well and keep a straight face going thru customs ("Nothing To Declare" of course!).

You might get caught by customs at the airport in Ireland as I heard they are really cracking down on overseas shopping at the moment. Any electronic items you have owned less than 12 months outside Ireland I believe are taxable so hide all that stuff very well and keep a straight face going thru customs ("Nothing To Declare" of course!).

Yeah, I've been thinking about that alright. Will get the Oppo into my carry-on bag and put on my poker face. Wife and baby are travelling with me too, so hopefully they won't pick on us for a search.

Ha ha, Dublin customs used to be a staff free zone! Many a time walked through the "nothing to declare" exit, as the others were closed :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom