1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA HD-DVD Launch Scaled-Down

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Jonny1973, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    from www.thedigitalbits.com

Today's issue of the Wall Street Journal features an article on HD-DVD, which indicates that the HD-DVD camp seems to be scaling back its 4th Qtr launch. Only Toshiba will likely have a player available in time for the holiday season launch, which at least Circuit City will carry (the exact date of availability has yet to be announced, but expect the price to be over $1,000). While Paramount had promised to issue some 20 HD-DVD titles for the debut, they now say they won't release any in 2005. Universal has trimmed back from 16 to 12 titles. Warner hasn't yet announced its HD-DVD software plans, reportedly waiting to see if there's an 11th hour compromise between the HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc camps. From the story: "If there is a unification of formats, we would want to work toward that," said Jim Cardwell, president of Warner Home Video, who didn't rule out a holiday-season launch for Warner movies on HD-DVD.

Home Media Retailing's T.K. Arnold has posted a similar story, adding that Warner Home Video may now wait until the 1st Qtr of 2006 to launch software titles on HD-DVD format. Another quote: “We are considering rolling back our launch in the hopes of a last-minute compromise, which would avoid two formats straining the marketplace,” said Jim Cardwell, president of Warner Home Video."

What's more, according to another story at HMR, new market studies conducted by Jupiter Research indicate that consumer interest in these new HD formats is still very low.

We believe here at The Bits that a compromise at this point is unlikely, although we haven't given up hope. We expect that both the HD-DVD and Blu-ray camps are getting an angry earful from retailers about the inconvenience of having to carry two new HD disc formats in addition to regular DVD. Whatever happens, WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE ALL OUR READERS, PARTICULARLY EARLY ADOPTERS, TO SAVE YOUR MONEY. We know that some of you out there are excited about the prospect of HD on disc, and already have your own particular preference of the two formats, but if sales of both HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc are weak in the initial weeks and months after the launch of each format, the two camps will feel increasing pressure to sit down and seriously talk about a compromise. DON'T ENCOURAGE THE FORMAT WAR.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    To be honest I don't agree with that. If you want high def material on disc then waiting and sitting on the fence isn't the way to get it. Personally I will buy a HD DVD player based on the strength of the launch range (which we already knew we weren't going to see in it's entirety until mid-06) - and I will also buy a BluRay player if some decent titles launch on that format (or it turns out to be the better format for digital recording). If one turns out to be a lemon several years later so be it - at least I'd be able to watch certain movies in high def several years earlier. We don't live long enough to wait :)

3. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:nono: Personaly i dont agree with that Rasczak. "Everybody!"who uses these forums and are AV mad want hd-dvd and blu-ray "NOW!" but the majority of us have'nt got endless amounts of spare cash to be able to afford to buy a rather "EXPENSIVE" lemon. If sitting on the fence for a couple of months down the line after their launch would encourage the two camps to compromise and kiss and make up resulting in a single format im all for that. Everyone would be a winner this way no expensive lemmons sat at the back of the room,no wasted money and a much wider selection of hi-def material available for joe public due to the fact that all the film companies would be producing for this same format,how could you not want to encourage this!!!!! :clap:

4. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Personally I am glad that the manufacturers are holding back.

There needs to be 1 standard if a HD format is going to succeed and it would be best if both camps got together and made that format rather then duking it out with the potential of causing many people to waste a lot of money.

I am a very impatient person but this is one time I am happy to bide my time - hell I would have been happy with DVD quality for at least another 5 years as it is :D

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Didn't see this one coming......not

I am passionate about HD but I wish they sort out ONE medium first, I would much rather wait than have this impending battle. There will be no winners, there never is.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
  7. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    It will all come down to the software.....

but until we know which way this goes - I think I'll be happier upgrading to a relatively in-expensive PC drive.....
    and only buy a handful of disks......

Once we are into the first few months of the format wars - hopefully sales of software on one format will outstrip the other.
    Then I will consider committing to one format......

or course I am in the HD-DVD camp for no other reason than not liking Sony's atitude...! :devil:

8. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:thumbsup: This is another reason i see it being an advantage of being patient and holding back. As these two "RIVAL" manufacturers commence battle and try to preach to the world that"our format is the best back us" some little company out there will introduce a multi format player in which everyone would be a "WINNER!" by purchasing one.These players wont arrive straight away though they never do,i bet you're talking 6-12 mths after both of these formats have been introduced.So by showing a liitle patiance you'd be guaranteed to come out on top as either the manufacturers will have kissed and made up and we'll have a single format or we'll have a multi format player by which time prices will have began to fall anyway.
    At the end of the day we have to do what is best for us the consumer,and encouraging this format war by jumping in straight away and backing either one is only going to leave us out of pocket!!!!!... :thumbsdow

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I for one am going to take that advice.
    Im not going to buy either formats untill they grow up and manage to agree on one unified format.
    I mean what are these guys, Children?. They got together onece and didnt work anything out? bloody kids in charge of sony and toshiba. Stupid japanese pride. :rolleyes:

Because of this i aint buying either format till either they agree on a unified system or somone makes a dual player.

Anyone who does get either a blu ray or HD DVD player are only pushing the format war to go ahead.

10. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh, well, it's time for another copy of "Gladiator"? :suicide:

With such a bad taste in movies in a world full of crap movies I can't wait to see another wave of the expensive video formats :thumbsdow I think we have to improve Hollywood and our own bad tastes before we're going to talk about HD and improved pictures, bigger resolution and so on.... :(

two years down the road we're going to talk about another copy of Gladiator and Matrix but that time it will probably be Green-Ray version of it :lease:

11. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Now you're winding me up ;) Never been a fan of universals. One format, one player done well for HD

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Isn't it Welsh pride for Sony now? :smashin:

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Well apparently the new welsh CEO was trying to push for a unified format. But it looks like even the CEO doesnt get the final say.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    well someone has some sence, as an early adopter of many things this one I think I might miss or certainly delay :)

15. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I think the content providers need to get together and agree not to release any HD content until there is only one format. That would get the two camps focused.

'relatively inexpensive' PC drive + new graphics card with HDCP socket + new monitor with HDCP socket + new motherboard with DRM built in.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
  17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    + something that supports AACS (presumably a PCI card).

18. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    A "couple of months" is somewhat optimistic for a resolution. A couple of years is probably closer and five is probably more likely - similar comments seem to be made by others as well - here for example. Are you going to wait all that time for High Def discs? A personal choice (obviously) but given that the players are rumoured to be starting a mid-price range ($1000) it's hardly going to be a massive loss if one of the formats fails. Pretending to take the "moral high ground" by not supporting either until there is only one format will only result in years and years without content.

IMHO I foresee High Def discs failing to grab public imagination and thus both formats lingering on unsuccessfully for many years. Why wait?

Given that companies such as Samsung are in both HD DVD and BluRay camps plus AACS and MPEG4 are to be used for both formats this isn't beyond the realms of possibility providing suitable optical heads can be produced.

19. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's always a format war isnt there although the best system doesnt always win, VHS V's Betamax being one of the most famous and poor old philips 2000 hardly got a look in, but I like a good format war.... it spurns the manufacturers on and we benifit in the end...as for hi def discs not catching on I think they will...the public is warming to hi def now and with the next gen consoles just round the corner hi def is here to stay..hi def weather its blue ray or hi def dvd is a natural step for films and tv on discs although I can see blue ray maybe losing out and just being the preserve on the playstaion and the odd blueray player especially if its not capable of playing SD dvd, I can see HD dvd really catching on if they are capable of playing SD dvd as well and come down to a sensible price..the way 2nd Gen SD dvd players dropped in price and were reasonable at playing CDs ( well some were lol)

20. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    But whose to say you will need to replace the collection on the winning format? If resolution of the 'format war' takes five years we will already be half way to the next generation format - in which case there won't really be any pressing need to replace the films in the 'loosing' format unless there is a quality difference.

22. Ultim8Fury

Ultim8Fury
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm all for holding off until a resolution to the split appears.

What I see happening is, some 8 year old dutch kid will crack the encryption in 4 lines of BBC basic code. It'll spread all over the net and be printed on coasters and t-shirts. Before you know it people are using a "distributed backup" model for making sure their films are kept safe all over the world. PC drives will be flying off the shelves and home units will follow. The media will be in uproar about it and thus provide free publicity, which is what they're best at. Average Joe wage slave then sees the format all over the news and radio and in the papers and he buys into it as well. Thus spelling the success of a format.

I'd like to see HD-DVD be that success story and in light of Sony's previous track record at pioneering new formats, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

I class myself as an early adopter but there's adopting early and throwing money away. Sony don't give in on formats even when they clearly have been whooped and I don't see the HD-DVD camp backing down either unless it's in favour of a joint venture which may well screw everybody over who bought either format.

In the meantime I'll sit back, watch what HD stuff I have via the Snazio and wait for things to settle down.

23. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amen to that! I'm more than happy to sit this one out - can't see that many investing to two formats so IMHO this only prolongs the agony and restricts sales early on.

24. crank

crank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

"HA HA HA!"like the 8 year old kid bit mate!. Also glad other people see the sense in holding back. :thumbsup: TOP BANANA!!!...