USA Ebay : Took My Money and Run

Davidgilmour

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered Red Steel from this canadian guy on ebay. He has more than 1200 votes with a 99% positive rating. After 2 weeks my game hasn't arrived so I checked ebay again and I saw the guy was given 0 positive and 40 negative references in the last 3 days and his account has been disabled.
Total costs were $46. Should I file a claim at him through paypal (which I already did) or should I get in contact with Mastercard.
All my paypal payments are made by MC. I received an e-mail from paypal saying that I will get my money back if the guy doesn't respond but they will charge me $25 administration costs!

I have 90 ebay references, 0 negatives and made over 120 paypal payments with my CC. What's the best thing to do? MC or Paypal?

Hi, I had a problem with an item I ordered of e-bay and paying for it by paypal never being sent to me.

The only help I got from e-bay was to acknowledge my original complaint and then nothing further, paypal never even responded to my e-mails for assistance.
I would go for Mastercard for help as i believe is a legal obligation for them to help you.

god knows what laws e-bay and paypal work under.

Mike

I feel sorry for you mate i really do. I have been stung by some sellers on ebay before and its not nice. I really think you should post this in the general chat though as you will get more help in there. I know it was a wii game that was involved but it doesnt really fall into wii forum chat if you know what i mean!

Ok, could you please move this topic to the General Forum? Thanks!

I ordered Red Steel from this canadian guy on ebay. He has more than 1200 votes with a 99% positive rating. After 2 weeks my game hasn't arrived so I checked ebay again and I saw the guy was given 0 positive and 40 negative references in the last 3 days and his account has been disabled.
Total costs were $46. Should I file a claim at him through paypal (which I already did) or should I get in contact with Mastercard.
All my paypal payments are made by MC. I received an e-mail from paypal saying that I will get my money back if the guy doesn't respond but they will charge me $25 administration costs!

I have 90 ebay references, 0 negatives and made over 120 paypal payments with my CC. What's the best thing to do? MC or Paypal?

I wouldn't instantly panic although I accept it is looking bleak :(
I ordered some DVDs from Oz and they took a month to come.
It's possible the seller has been spoofed and genuinely knows nothing about it.
I assume you have done all the obvious and tried to contact him?

Get in touch with Master Card as soon as possible, they may not be able to help but you will have covered all your bases.

HTH

Dave

Strange, for someone to be perfect for 12 months and then pull a stunt like that.
I still suspect it might be someone who has spoofed his ID.
If you look at the first negative post, he denied the sale and I'd venture that he never even knew anything about it. I'm wondering if he's been told by E-bay not to contact anyone.
Anyway, my supposition has nothing to do with it mate, E-Bay really need to sort this out.
You have my sympathies and the only saving grace is that it could have been worse. One poor sod has lost $425 dollars :(

I'd certainly call your CC company, I think you're covered for fraud, but not sure.

Believe me , this guy is a goner.

( http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAP...iid=270060131519&ssPageName=VIP:feedback:2:ca )

He doesn't answer my mails anymore and his account is suspended. This was his setup. He probable was in dire straits and needed a quick buck.

Jeez i just took a look at his feedback and thats one of the worst collection of negative feedbacks ive ever seen in that period of time!
Looks like this guy has made sure he has a good xmas by ruining others.
I hope he gets shafted big time by someone!

Just been nosing through E-bay.
I'm really shocked that it seems you don't need to have a verified address to be a power seller. I've always perceived that that status meant you were dealing with the equivalent of the Bank of England.
Your post has certainly learnt me something mate :smashin:

It would appear you're right mate :(
After all the hassle I got from Paypal to get verified, I just assumed it was a given for power-sellers. I've only had 30 or so deals.
Maybe a good lesson, in that if you deal with a verified person, you know where to take the pick-axe handle too.

Not that I'm condoning violence or blaming the OP in any way :rolleyes:

Just got off the phone with Mastercard. They won't do any poo for me!
I have to resolve this with Paypal. I will get my money back from Paypal within 7 days if the seller does not respond to the claim but I don't like paying $25 administration costs for a $46 item, that means more than 50% costs.

I hope that ebay will help too in this matter. The way ebay is so succesful is by using the reference system. Hope they see that 1200 votes with 2 negative votes is a reliable seller too.

I will be very doubtful to use ebay again if even these people are not trustworthy :)

Just got off the phone with Mastercard. They won't do any poo for me!
I have to resolve this with Paypal. I will get my money back from Paypal within 7 days if the seller does not respond to the claim but I don't like paying $25 administration costs for a $46 item, that means more than 50% costs.

I hope that ebay will help too in this matter. The way ebay is so succesful is by using the reference system. Hope they see that 1200 votes with 2 negative votes is a reliable seller too.

I will be very doubtful to use ebay again if even these people are not trustworthy :)

If you advised them you have not received the goods in a timely manner then this is tantamount to credit card fraud. They should take it seriously and at the least offer a 'clawback' paypal won't like that but even if PP find in your favour you invairably won't get the cashback.

Couple of years earlier, I sold a phone on ebay, received paypal funds and sent it out Special Delivery. Few days later there was a chargeback from my paypal account and even after I sent them the receipt and everything, I didnt get my money back. £220 down the pan.

After I decided that £15 will be the maximum value I will be using through Paypal, either as buyer or seller. Ebay and Paypal together make it look like youre protected.

If you advised them you have not received the goods in a timely manner then this is tantamount to credit card fraud. They should take it seriously and at the least offer a 'clawback' paypal won't like that but even if PP find in your favour you invairably won't get the cashback.

Just called with MC again and told them that this was a fraud. They said I should file a claim and send them all details, so now they at least will try to resolve it.

I hope that ebay will help too in this matter.

Doubt it. I find they are one of the most unhelpfull organisations I have ever come across. As long as they are getting money (more than the value of services they appear to give if you ask me) they dont really care, wont budge.

I'm not totally sure on this but I assumed the $25 charge was if you asked for an immediate clawback without waiting for the seller to respond. If you allow the seller time to respond then Paypal will make a judgment and you should get your money back.

This is what Paypal send me:

We zullen ons uiterste best doen om deze claim op te lossen binnen 30
dagen. Ons onderzoek kan echter ook meer tijd vergen.
Bij ons onderzoek zullen we alles in het werk stellen om een bevredigend
resultaat te bereiken, maar PayPal kan geen terugbetalingen garanderen. Als
de claim in uw voordeel wordt beslist, komt u in aanmerking voor een
dekking van $200,00 USD met verwerkingskosten van $25,00 USD. Als u wilt
weten hoe PayPal klachten onderzoekt, kunt u onze gebruikersovereenkomst
nalezen.

I'll try to translate it for all you non clug speakers :D

"We will do our very best to solve this claim within 30 days. Our investigation might take a longer time. In this investigation we will do everything to get a satisfactionary result, but Paypal can't guarantee a refund. If the claim is decided in your advantage, you will be covered up to $200 with a transactioncharge of $25. If you want to know how we investigate complaints, please read our user agreements"

Yet another reason to not trust fleabay. The sooner the authorities get a grip on this thieves paradise the better.
I realise there are people who use ebay with no problem, and some very reliable sellers on there. I also know we only get to hear of the bad ones, but ebay take a cut on every tansaction. Surely that makes them responsible for and complicit with every sale that goes wrong?
It seems to me that their system is far too easy to abuse. Sellers creating false trading histories etc.
If they can't ensure it runs fairly, and within the law, maybe it should be shut down. Any other business involved in so many fraudulent transactions would be.

If they can't ensure it runs fairly, and within the law, maybe it should be shut down. Any other business involved in so many fraudulent transactions would be.

But is that the fault of ebay or with any type of trading where you're not face to face?

Ebay gets a lot of bad press simply because it is so popular. Anyone on the net or mail order can run off with your money.

I filed a complaint at the seller. All paypal does is say: if the seller does not respond within 10 days you get your money back but we take $25 for automatically sending your mail to the seller and automatically booking back the money from the seller...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom