1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA Camcorders in the UK

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by jicms, Mar 27, 2004.

1. jicms

jicms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does anyone know the way around me buying a camcorder in the USA (probably Sony and for around half the price) and being able to playback on my UK television video. I realise that they use a different system to our PAL but have heard it can be got around. Thanks.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The vast majority of modern TV's and VCR's will be able to display/play an NTSC video source with no problems as they are nearly always stated as NTSC compatable. What you will NOT be able to do is record an NTSC recording from the cam onto a UK VCR. To be able to record your camcorder footage to a VCR you will need to get a digital standards converter that will cost you around £200 (see below). At that price you must be better off getting the cam from a UK retailer.
    With cheqap internet prices on most goods I doubt you would get the cam at half price from America. Also you should be aware that you can be charged import duty & VAT on the camcorder by customs. This can be charged even at a later date if caught and unable to prove you have already paid it.

www.keene.co.uk
    DIGITAL STANDARDS CONVERTOR
    [KDV500] £239.99 (£204.26 ex VAT)

Mark.

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I think alot of Pal camcorders can be bought from the states anyway. Its just that youll pay a few hundred quid more for pal over NTSC but you get higher resolution for your money.