1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Usa camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by edsm, Apr 9, 2003.

1. edsm

edsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have someone comming from the usa who can bring me a camcorder as it is much cheaper there. Now i WOuld like to know if there is any problem using it here in Belgium. I'll be watching the films on my laptop.I'm not worried about the warranty as I heve relatives there who travel abroad often. I would just like to know why a european model is any different and what the E behind the modelnumber in Europe stands for.
    Thank you very much!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    The european Television standard is PAL and in the USA it is NTSC. One is not compatible with the other. This means that films recorded on a camcorder from USA can not be played back to a European TV or recorded to a European VCR without the footage being converted via an expensive external box or a PC with conversion software (and all the hardware needed to capture the footage).

Mark.

3. edsm

edsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply!
    But I'm only planning to watch the films on my laptop(via fire wire)from the camera. Would that be a problem?

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In that case, not a problem, in fact if you then wanted to watch the video on a TV then the Laptop should be able to convert it to PAL, either in realtime using a TV output, or for better quality, most video editing software can perform this function.

5. edsm

edsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a million!
    SO even if I burn my film on a cd or dvd I should be able to watch it right? (So what won't I be able to do? sorry but I'm new in camcorders)
    I think I'll save myself a lot of money this way.

6. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Ulead packages for Video editing, DVD creation etc. can convert between input and output formats, so if you get a NTSC DV camcorder, you can capture the footage to disk, convert it to PAL DV, and if you wish to burn a DVD-R it will be in PAL and so viewable on 100% of European TVs (even SECAM ones from France can view PAL DVDs - because there aren't any SECAM ones:D ). BUT - 90% of European TVs that work with DVD players will be able to display NTSC from a DVD as well, either as pure NTSC or PAL-60. So you may not have to convert the footage.

What I'm saying is that unless you wish to record from an NTSC camcorder onto VHS, then there is no real problem.

7. edsm

edsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!
    I got it:smashin:

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    Yes, unless you get caught be customs trying to import the camcorder :devil:
    USA know they are cheaper than UK/Europe so you should even be able to buy a European model. I have just got back from New York (guess where I was when war started? :rolleyes: ) and there were plenty of European models available.

Mark.

9. edsm

edsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think I can get a european model for that price: sony trv 19 ,the new model for $ 465 (in england it is comming in this month for £ 469!
    If they are caught by custums they can alwayssay that it is a present?!

10. Erpland

Erpland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think he means you can buy a European model over in the states.
    NTSC should not be a problem anyway on newer PAL TV's in Europe, your biggest problem is if something goes wrong with it you may have trouble with warranties, and of course if it comes with a mains adapter it will be 110volts so you will need a step down convertor for your electricity socket.

If I was bringing one back from the states I would take it out of the box and keep it on me as if it was in use, flat pack the box in my suitcase and hide all the other wrappers in your socks, even if it is a gift you can still get stung for duty in Europe.
    Oh and make sure it is insured already.