US vs UK AV Receivers??? Yamaha RX-V1700 & 2700

R

Ritz928

Hi Guys,

Just a general question. Can anyone let me know if a US AV reciever will work fine in the UK? I understand the US is 110V @ 60Hz and NTSC, but this is no doubt interchangeable to 230V @ 50Hz.

I guess my big worry is NTSC and whether or not this is an issue???

Im interested in your feedback.

Carl.

Not as easy as just changing it from 110v to 230v, you'll need a decent stepdown transformer to start with. Most displays can now accept an NTSC signal so that shouldn't be an issue. I'd be more concerned about Warranty and if it went tits up.

I downloaded a pdf manual from the internet and it shows a voltage change-over switch?!?!? But I haven't been able to see this in detail on any pictures.

Yes I agree my LCD TV does accept NTSC, but is HD NTSC as good as HD PAL? Someone mentioned something about this but for the life of me I can't remember what is was.

Carl.

If it has a voltage switch then that makes life a lot easier but I'd still be concerned about the Warranty side of things.

HD is HD regardless of where it's from, just that one runs at 60hz the other at 50hz. Again, most displays can accept them both. If you're thinking of using something like an HD-DVD player then at they moment they only output a 60hz signal anyway. Whether that be 720p, 1080i etc.

Jase,

Cheers for your comments!!! Much appreciated!!!

I am concerned a little about the warranty but the main reason for buying this amp now is the fact I am heading to NZ to live shortly, so I have a choice of buying one in the UK or USA and lumping the fact that I wont have a warranty.... The same unit in NZ is around 300 pounds more expensive.

Is the Yamaha warranty valid around the world??

Carl.

As I understand it the Warranty is only valid in the country of purchase although Europe may come under one area, as it were.

What do you make of this???

VOLTAGE SELECTOR
(Asia and General models only)
The VOLTAGE SELECTOR on the rear panel of
this unit must be set for your local voltage
BEFORE plugging the power cable into the AC
wall outlet. Improper setting of the VOLTAGE
SELECTOR may cause damage to this unit and
create a potential fire hazard.
Rotate the VOLTAGE SELECTOR clockwise or
counterclockwise to the correct position using a
straight slot screwdriver.
Voltages are as follows:
Asia model .........................220/230–240 V AC, 50/60 Hz
General model ......110/120/220/230–240 V AC, 50/60 Hz

There is a diagram as well but I cant paste it. Not sure what they mean by general model???

Carl.

I downloaded a pdf manual from the internet and it shows a voltage change-over switch?!?!? But I haven't been able to see this in detail on any pictures.

Yes I agree my LCD TV does accept NTSC, but is HD NTSC as good as HD PAL? Someone mentioned something about this but for the life of me I can't remember what is was.

Carl.

There is no NTSC HD, it's called ATSC!

Only diffrence between US and Europian HD transmissions is the refresh rate. The Americans continued with 60Hz and we continued with 50Hz Dispite both 50Hz and 60Hz being the the DVB standards. However all HD DVD's so far have been in 24P which only translates well into 60Hz. Not so sure what Europian Blu-Ray disc are though.

What do you make of this???

VOLTAGE SELECTOR
(Asia and General models only)
The VOLTAGE SELECTOR on the rear panel of
this unit must be set for your local voltage
BEFORE plugging the power cable into the AC
wall outlet. Improper setting of the VOLTAGE
SELECTOR may cause damage to this unit and
create a potential fire hazard.
Rotate the VOLTAGE SELECTOR clockwise or
counterclockwise to the correct position using a
straight slot screwdriver.
Voltages are as follows:
Asia model .........................220/230–240 V AC, 50/60 Hz
General model ......110/120/220/230–240 V AC, 50/60 Hz

There is a diagram as well but I cant paste it. Not sure what they mean by general model???

Carl.

Depends what areas the General model is sold in I'd imagine. Pretty sure the 2700 that my Dad has doesn't have a voltage selector on it. It's mentioned in the manual for it with regards to the Asian/General models though. Says what you've posted above.

Wouldn't there also be a difference with the FM tuner (the frequency increments and RDS support)?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
As a general rule models for a specific country do not have a voltage adjustment. The General model does, but that will not be sold in large market areas like the US.

The US model will have the follow issues:-
i) wrong voltage (120v)
ii) The graphics on component will be NTSC.
iii) No RDS -No station display - just MHz
iv) wrong FM de emphisis (will sound muffled)
v) FM steps 10kHz

I have an older General model Yamaha (bought in Kuwait) The general model has a switch to change the steps but not the de-emphisis. I had to change a few components on the FM board for 50uS. It also has a PAL NTSC switch for the superimposed graphics.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom