• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

US Version of Onkyo 605 work in the EU?

somedeed

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase an Onkyo 605, i found a great deal on a US site who will ship to the EU. He mentioned the differences in the power supply between the US and Europe. If i plug in the US receiver is it likely to blow up in my face?

:confused:

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
who knows.but if it is,can you return it?
warranty issues,import costs,would be a concern to me.
and you can pick up one over here,for a few pounds more,but have the support/warranty from a face to face/uk retailer.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
US = 110Volts EU/UK = 230volts
You need a step up transformer which needs to be powerful as it is a amp = lots on money.

US = 110Volts EU/UK = 230volts
You need a step up transformer which needs to be powerful as it is a amp = lots on money.

You mean a step-down transformer (240 > 110)?

Personally, unless its an amazing deal, I wouldn't bother, the shipping weight of the amp (15kg ish) surely kills any savings :confused:

somedeed

Standard Member
Yeah its the step down convertor i need. The shipping costs are expensive but it still beats the nearest price by almost €100. After delivery its €380, the best deal online from a European store comes to €500.

thenicklouse

and if customs get it...... import tax and VAT.

marty2005

My brother got a hd camcorder from the states that was half the price we'd pay in the uk.

It got through customs and wasn't opened, luck of the draw really.

MarkTaylor

The possible saving just isn't worth it.

Even if it does dodge the VAT and duty charge on the way through by the time you've bought a voltage converter to run it you will have saved very little and be in the wonderful position of having no warranty without returning it to the USA.

Some things are worth trying to buy in the USA, this sort of thing isn't.

Gavin C1

When importing, if you ask the sender to declair the item as 'Gift' they never get checked by customs. Well, I don't know a single person who has been charged by customs, and I myself have imported many large packages from the US. Have never been charged.

Try it :thumbsup: I've got a US PS3 on it's way to me from Video Games Plus. I asked them to declair it as a gift, which they usually do :smashin:

MarkTaylor

When importing, if you ask the sender to declair the item as 'Gift' they never get checked by customs.

You do realise that false declarations on customs forms are a punishable offence?

In any case, it isn't the gift status that makes a difference as there is no block exemption for gifts, it is the value you put on the package.

You then get caught in the insurance trap, if someone fraudulently values it at say 20$ and it gets lost in transit then that's what you'll get back, 20$, so it isn't really such a good idea in the end.

Trying to get a small light package with a few DVDs past customs is one thing, doing it with a large heavy amp box is quite a different prospect.

As ever some may not get noticed others will. USPS takes longer but doesn't get the same level of checking as say UPS or the other major couriers as they will declare the value, pay the tax and charge you a handling fee for the work.

When importing, if you ask the sender to declair the item as 'Gift' they never get checked by customs.

That is completely wrong advice, anything over £25 (iirc) in declared value is subject to VAT (including shipping). Sometimes you get away with it but I find most of the time I don't especially when the parcel is from the USA.

MarkTaylor

Declairing it as a gift isn't exactly a false decleration is it :confused: what other options are to be chosen from?

It is a commercial transaction not a gift but that really doesn't matter, the important thing on the declaration is the value, there is no such thing as 'gift' exemption in the UK, it is only the value that determines if you have to pay tax and duty on the item.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom