US/UK HD_DVD compatability

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone :hiya: ,

Am thinking of picking up the AX1 but there's just one thing that's niggling me at the mo. I know that there is some degree of uncertainty over the compatability of HD-DVDs from the US and the UK, but with the AX1 not outputting PAL, what about the special features that will be on the UK disks? If they follow the same pattern of US releases (film in 1080p, special features in 480i/480p), then will the special features on UK HD-DVDs be encoded in the PAL format? Therefore could we find ourselves in the position of being able to watch the film, but not the special features?

What are your views on this before my credit card takes a pounding?

Cheers :smashin: ,

Mark

Uruloke

Interesting question, I'm not sure of the answer but my isntinct is that the extras should play ok, providing the US machines play the discs...

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Cheers Uroloke. Its really beginning to bug me the uncertainties around this - we still don't know the launch dates, we don't know these compatability issues.......aaarrrrgggghhhh! I know the sensible option is to just wait until the UK launch, but that was never my style :smashin: .

I'm going to take trip up to the Metro Centre and LE Concepts to pick one up tomorrow anyway. If it means I'm stuck buying US HD-DVDs then so be it. Could end up saving me money in the long run as all those impulse buys on cheeky lunchtime visit's to HMV would stop ;)

Cheers,

Mark

Top Bottom