US to UK

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jonwalton, Dec 31, 2001.

1. jonwalton

jonwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me what I need to connect an American DVD player to a British TV? I asked in a Sony Centre and they thought Americans used Scart, but I don't think they do. Also, my TV is quite old and probably won't accept NTSC signals. Is it cheaper to buy a converter or a new telly? Thanks

2. CrunchyB

CrunchyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First of all, why would you? Unless you already own the US player, there's no real reason for it. Anyways....

You need:

-a power converter 220V > 110V

-and some way to connect the DVD player to your TV. If your TV has it, connect through a S-Video cable (you might need to buy a S-Video > SCART connector for a few quid if you don't have a separate S-Video entrance).

However, that is assuming your TV supports NTSC. Most TVs do, even the pretty old ones. Just look up the manual at home or on the internet.
    If your TV doesn't support NTSC, you're out of luck. Converters are pretty expensive and since all the new TVs support NTSC you'll never use it again.

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes.

and by not having a scart you won't be able to use RGB which is the usual workaround for seeing NTSC titles in colour.

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not to mention that the player most likely won't play any European or Australian (PAL) DVDs ...

5. jonwalton

jonwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a British player already (Sony DVP-S336) but I want an American one so I can have a good quality region 1 player without worring about hacking/chipping and problems with RCE.

Thanks for the help everyone.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you get the correct mod done there will be no hassle with RCE nor any quality problems. IMHO better invest in a proper mod than in another player.

Check out places like www.techtronics.com what can be done with your player ...

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony 725 from 3 years ago with a Techtronics mod hasn't had any problems with RCE and that was modded before RCE was out.

The Sony 336 is easily modded and would not give you any problems.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Yikes!! I've heard it all now!! Talk about doing it the hard and expensive way!

Good Luck wiring them both up for RGB. Hope you have component inputs on your TV for the American player.

Not to mention wiring it up to your amp (if you have one).
    If it's DD/DTS then you will have to make sure you have enough digital inputs to cater for two DVD players.

Don't do it m8, It just aint worth it.

9. jonwalton

jonwalton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, so it's a bad idea. I didn't know what was involved, that's why I posted here. If Techtronics are good, I'll go through them.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would strongly advise you to do a search on the forum on Techtronics to find people's opinions first