1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US release date rumour

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by bishman, Sep 1, 2005.

1. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    www.ign.com are reporting news from retailers that it's looking like a late November launch for the 360 stateside:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/647/647185p1.html

Wonder where that leaves things for us? Does this indicate a day and date release if the US is 3 weeks later than previously rumoured? Or are we going to sneak it in over here just before christmas?

I don't know but I just wish they'd give us an official date.

2. Corpsical

Corpsical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Okay I'm not going to panic :) but I really want this pre-Christmas, I'm off work for Christmas week for the first time in 15 years I so wanted to become a kid again :)

(people who know me may express the opinion that I have always been a child and have never grown up .... well ... liar liar your pants are on fire)

3. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    I'd be really surprised if it slipped to after christmas but it is a possibility.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Well amazon have it for 28th November, so that would make sense.

5. Colgate7110

Colgate7110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    While Microsoft "don't comment on rumour and speculation", once momentum built up behind the leaked prices a few weeks ago, they were quick to announce the official retail prices in the US and Europe. Hopefully they'll cave in here too! You have to think that US retailers know by now though - the rumoured launch at the start of November is only about 8 weeks away now so they will need to be planning stock levels, window displays, shelving displays, point of sale promotions, customer newsletters, TV adverts, etc. Not only are Microsoft giving their developers a horrendous time with an incredibly short timeline between final devkits and manufacturing, they seem to be putting their retail network through the mill too.

The crazy thing is that stocks are so limited (based on the 1.6 million unit figure quoted weeks ago) that I'd imagine most of the initial shipments will have been pre-sold anyway to enthusiasts. The chances of picking one off a shelf for Christmas will probably be fairly limited (not impossible, just limited) so why they're racing to hit the Christmas market is a bit of a mystery. I could easily understand if they launched around now and were pushing to get more stock out for Christmas to avoid a repeat of last Christmas but this is the initial allocation of a console that is already known to be massively popular and months ahead of their closest rival. I wonder if the power of the shareholder is taking hold here... With the delay to Longhorn/Vista, no sign of the new Visual Studio, and no new Office launches this year, they probably need to push the 360 out so something hits the shelves this side of 2006. But then, it's not even as if their financial year ends with the calendar year so why the big rush?

Cheers,

Colin

6. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    The big rush is to avoid over eager consumers explosion in anticipation. I want it now, not in November. Gimme, gimme, gimme. :D

7. Corpsical

Corpsical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    lol :) , Nicely summed up Bishman