1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US/PWD7UY vs. EU/PWD7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by stette, Sep 20, 2005.

1. stette

stette

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Is there any difference between the US/PWD7UY and the EU/PWD7 except for the voltage?

They say in anohter international forum that you can use the VGA input as Componet by using a VGA/Component cable for the US model.

Is it also possible to this on a EU/PWD7??

I think it was not possible to do on a PW7 without the "D"

Correct me if I am wrong

Stefan from Sweden

2. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Stefan - I think I have read it somewhere here that it was disabled for the 7 Series but available again for the 8 but I'm not all that clued up. I have my PWD8 connected via a component to VGA cable.

3. stette

stette

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @UKseless1
    Thank´s for the reply.
    According to this post, it should be fine
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6219157&&#post6219157

Just contacted Panasonic here in Sweden, but they could not give me an answer about the Component/VGA question.

There is no difference between the US and EU model except for the voltage and that the US versions come with more input boards as standard.
    (more expensive to pay custom tax if supplied with boards)
    They now got a factory in the CZECH republic, that´s why the new PWD8 are supplied with a standard input board. No tax between EU countries.

Just wanted to know, as I get my new set next week. I will give it a try hopefully sometime during next week, when I get the new set.

//Stefan from Sweden

4. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Stefan - I just pm'ed MAW to clear up whether or not the PW7 or PWD7 accepts component via the VGA input and he confirms that it will not be able to. As I suspected the PWD6 could, the PW(D)7 couldn't and it was re-enabled for the PWD8.

I got the impression that you were after a PW7 or PWD7 on the basis that it has this capability and while it appears that our US friends say their model can, the EU model can't.

5. StrongSilent

StrongSilent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is there any point in buying a PW(D)7 when prices of the PWD8 are only slightly higher and have the 8th gen panel? Or have I missed a crucial point?

Also, regarding the standard input board on the PWD8, how many concurrent devices can be connected, and how would you switch between them?

Could I avoid using an a/v receiver or media box, by adding an RGB-scart, and component input board ?

Attached Files:

6. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    StrongSilent - Good question. I suppose there are places still selling what's left of PWD7 stock at what are probably very good prices.

With regards the number of inputs, I'm probably the last person to ask as I went the route of having only one input to the screen and running everything through an AV Amp. I would honestly have to go back to the manual (which is at home) to determine the number of inputs allowed (or you could simply look it up on the net). I think there was a maximum of 3 input cards could be attached, but I'm not sure if that was including or excluding the VGA.

You would probably need to list how many devices you are likely to want to connect to get accurate advice, the number of scenarios for connectivity are numerous.

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    3 optional inputs plus the standard vga

8. stette

stette

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you
    I appreciate all the answers

In that case, could it be related to the software?
    Is it different software for US vs. EU models?

I got a real good deal on a 37PWD7 (Black), Pio DVR-433, 2extra boards for the Panasonic (Component and Scart) and a
    B-tech 8412 . http://www.b-tech-int.com/BT8412.htm
    We chose this 37" because we don't want the screen to look to big in the corner.

I will post some pictures in a week or two when I got it on the wall

//Stefan from Sweden