Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

US PSP, UK Importers

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by mossmanfly, Mar 29, 2005.

1. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I was just wondering whether there was any UK based importer that is selling the US PSP? All I can find are the JAP versions. I would prefer to go through a UK based importer rather than some random guy/girl off Ebay, as with all the fuss over dead pixels etc I would prefer to have some where to take it back and a retailer being in the UK would be better than somewhere over in the US.

Thanks in advanced

2. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You could try www.gbax.com for a USA spec PSP, they are charging £284 for the value pack, I just ordered a JAP one from Nuplayer.co.uk and got a better deal on the value pack + accessory pack which contains USB cable, British Plug and screen cleaners and they do have them in stock,do free shipping and I'll have mine on Wednesday.

I was tempted by the USA version, but have a Sony R1 300 disc DVD changer, and Nuplayer told me they'll have UMD films this week hopefully.

GBAX.com are based in Newcastle for your info, if you do want a USA version.

3. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks.

Cant see the US version on their website, so might email them. Was looking at Nuplayer as they seem a decent company, but I wouldnt want to have Ridge Racer with it as I would prefer to have the US version. I have contacted them last night but still waiting a reply, do you know if its possible to get the Value pack with out Ridge Racer at all?

4. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I suppose you could ask either company, but I think the sony value pack comes with Ridge Racer as standard, I just looked on Gbax and the mainpage mentions they will have the USA PSP in shortly, that was posted on Mar 18th.

I'm still curious to know why you specifically want the American version of the PSP, the PSP games are region free apparently, but movies are still regionally coded. I'm not too bothered about this as I have a R1 DVD player.

Yes, Nuplayer seem a decent company, I'll know for definite tomorrow when my PSP arrives. They also gave me info about Memory sticks, games and movies, which will be handy to know...

5. RockyWilcox

RockyWilcox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I ordered off Nuplayer last Tuesday, still waiting for my psp. I've rang them about 8 times just to get a tracking number. They keep fobbing me off, saying they'll ring me back, but they never do. I leave it a few hours and ring them again.

I rang them about half an hour ago and they said Mark was sorting it out now and they would ring me back. City Link have no record of a package to be delivered to my address. It was despached Wednesday night, you'd think they'd have some information. I feel let down. It's an expensive piece of kit, and their website boasts: Next Day Delivery Guaranteed.

I'm in a mess now. I'm lying on the floor in my own vomit and urine.

That last line I made up, but I could be soon.

6. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Emailed GBax this morning and by 4pm have recieved a reply. They havent got the US versions in stock and they are going to be more than the Jap version due to stock shortages.Sent some messages to Nuplayer yesterday and they havent responded yet.

aligebes if you could post on here when you get your PSP as I am interested in Nuplayer, but after the message by RockyWilcox I am unsure whether to plunge for one. So far GBax may be about £20 more for a PSP but have responded to my email sent in a quicker time.

Personnally I think I would like a Jap PSP now due to region for movies and music, the US would be nice as some websites are doing the movies for £10, but to be honest when you have DVDs and the ability to put them on to the memory stick why bother with UMD movies you can only watch on a PSP.

aligebes could you also see if the Ridge Racer you get is Jap or US? As thats one thing I would like is the US version as I dont understand Japanese at all. I was reading one forum and the guy said Nuplayer were supplying him with the US version, so it would be interesting to see if it is.

Cheers

7. RockyWilcox

RockyWilcox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well i finally managed to talk to a customer service guy who actually sounded like he knew what he was doing. So big up him. After telling him City Link did not have any info on my parcel, he came to the conclusion it was MIA. He said he would make sure a replacement was sent out tonight, and I would recieve it tomorrow. Obviously I'm not going to get too excited about it. But one will have to turn up tomorrow at least. I suppose the reason for the delay can be blamed on the Easter holiday, but it doesn't excuse some of the poor service I have been recieving when I have rang up.

8. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I will certainly post when it is received, I actually phoned today as my credit card had not yet been debited, a guy called Kamal remembered me from the previous evening, and assured me I would have the PSP tomorrow.

If it is not here by lunchtime, I will start phoning and will ask for a tracking number, but was advised they don't get these till the morning after the package was picked up. They will keep getting phone calls till it's arrived...

To :mossmanfly. Even though the unit is Japanese, all text for the PSP can be configured for English, In theory it's the same as a DVD player, even though you may buy a foriegn DVD, the player settings will take over to whatever you have set the language to. Also Japan is the same region code as us in the UK, so any movies you buy will play ok.

9. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Also for those interested, I ordered the Value pack and the accessory pack which gives me the USB cable, British plug and screen protectors. Total cost =£270.50.

I was tempted by GBAX, but I prefer to phone a company first and then deal by email, All I got from GBAX was the recorded message, I left my details on Monday, as I was not sure if they were open for the Easter Monday Holiday, but no one has returned my call.

10. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I know the PSP can be set to UK as thats the first thing that happens when you turn it on, but the games are set to there language, so a Jap game with be in Japanese. Ridge Racer has most of its text in Japanese, so thats why I would want the US version to avoid having it in Japanese.

Will order a Jap PSP sometime this week, got a few websites all within £20 of each other for the same pack. I have read one forum that Nuplayer are supplying him with a US version of Ridge Racer, so if thats the case and the other websites dont I will order through them. If not I may source at getting a PSP Value pack without Ridge Racer and getting the US version, maybe a little more expensive, but worth it to have English language in the game.

11. RockyWilcox

RockyWilcox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ok well some good news and bad news. I rang up again because I wanted to confirm that my psp had been despached. I got through and talked to Kamal who owns the business. I'd spoken to him a few times over the last week. I started from the beginning and told him everything. I think I was a little hasty blaming Nuplayer. I was just one of the unlucky ones to have a parcel go missing. As a sort of compensation I will be getting the accessory pack (screen protectors, EU plug and USB cable) thrown in. He's actually a really nice guy, and hopefully has sorted it out. When I put the phone down I wondered what would have happened if I'd have played hard to get or had already got the accessory pack. Would he have offered me a free game? Who knows.

Roll on Thursday.

12. RockyWilcox

RockyWilcox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Oh and two more things: My card hasn't been debited either, which made me suspicious that my psp hadn't even been sent out. And I asked what their policy was concerning dead pixels. He said Three or more and they will swap it without fuss.

13. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nothing has arrived yet, but have phoned them, they checked and it did ship yesterday, I said I would phone after 4pm if it has not arrived by then. The tracking numbers should be in by then.

Yes, Kamal does seem a nice guy, I found him to be very polite.

Will update again later either way.

14. RockyWilcox

RockyWilcox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Any news aligebes? You're probably too busy playing on it now. :D

15. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Unfortunately, I'm not busy playing it as it did not arrive, I phoned Nuplayer and gave my problem.. Kamal phoned me back and was very apologetic, has informed me that if it does not turn up tomorrow, I'll get a PSP for free( I know he'll make a claim against Citylink!!) He was somewhat surprised when I mentioned I knew he was the boss already, think they'll be checking in here shortly!!

He phoned again at 7pm to advise that Citylink were blaming the easter weekend on a backlog and that they would phone him with the tracking number.

We had a nice chat about Website forums being good for business and I got the opinion that this lit a small fire. Also informed him that I had a wasted day today and that 2 friends who were considering Nuplayer were with me today, so had things go well, his company would have got 2 extra sales via me.

Informed that the only way I'll give business is if the PSP arrives for definite tomorrow, or that a free one arrives by Friday.

Am a bit frustrated as I also bought a D-Link wireless router from Ebay which arrived today, I told Kamal of this as well and how I was looking forward to integrating the PSP into my network.

Laughed with him a bit and told him a free 512mb memory could would do for inconvience caused...!!!

Hopefully all the above provoked a reaction with him, he did say he had packed mine up himself, he even checked the postal address with me.

Ended up gutting my PC and reinstalling Windows XP Home(that's how bored I got)

Will certainly keep people here posted with any news given, as I feel my experience will assist others in making their mind up!

16. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for the update aligebes, was seriously considering Nuplayer but now I dont think I will bother unless you get your PSP tommorow as you and RockyWilcox have had problems.

Nuplayer website seems to be down at the moment as well, and also has anyone noticed that it seems to be a personal BT Connect website as when loading up the page it has the url home.btconnect.com/newplayer/index.html not really something that a online shop should be as it suggests its a home based page.

Have also sent 2 messages to Nuplayer through there website on Monday night and no reply has been recieved. GBax who I emailed Tuesday morning emailed me back by 4:30pm the next day, emailed them again after work and by Midnight on Tuesday got the following reply. Also tried the Nuplayer number today around 8am and no answer, I know it was early but was leaving for work and there site says 24 hour a day customer service on the phone so I assumed 8am would be a good time to call. To me this doesnt seem good as I would have least expected a email reply back at least, especially from a company recommended for there politeness and customer services.

Looking at getting a US one shipped from a US site, one does guarantee no customs and people here are getting a US value pack and 3 games for the same price as what Nuplayer are charging for a PSP and 1 game.

Looking at DVD Boxoffice as a PSP and 6 games is under £300 with shipping included, just got to see if they mark the package down to get through customs with out a charge.

Be good if you can keep us posted aligebes as its interesting to have real experiences of companies so that myself and others reading this thread can see whether Nuplayer is a good choice or not.

17. RockyWilcox

RockyWilcox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It's not looking good for me then. I should have mine tomorrow, but with aligebes not getting his my hopes are fast decreasing. My psp has already gone missing and a replacement has been sent out, but all he offered me was an accessory pack, I obviously did something wrong. :D

Hope you get it tomorrow, but maybe your hoping it won't. :smashin:

18. RockyWilcox

RockyWilcox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I see they've changed the value pack to include Tony Hawk Underground now.

Oh and Mossman I've sent two e-mails to Nuplayer over the last week, neither were replied to.

19. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Am watching closely now, I'm tempted to ask them if they just didn't have any in stock, seeing as the value pack has changed, and they were just stalling.

I hope it comes tomorrow too, but would be cool if it did not, I actually recorded the conversation on to computer, but it did all come out too clear(more's the pity)

Will check in tomorrow with any news.

20. RockyWilcox

RockyWilcox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I rang many times since Saturday just asking for a tracking number, but they always said they would get back to me but never did.

21. DSLee

DSLee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hi,

Just to let you guys know, i placed an order with Nuplayer yesterday, with the promise of delivery today, and just discovered that it infact will not be delivered today.

I spoke to the local courier for Initial City Link and they have no record for any delivery to my address today.

Got off the phone from Nuplayer, and it seems i got the standard reply others are getting (give me address, phone number and the promise to call me back)

Happy i am not!

22. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    MINE TURNED UP!! REPEAT MINE HAS ARRIVED.

Spoke to the courier who delivered it, he advised there had been a backlog here in Edinburgh due to Easter, a neighbour saw me checking the parcel, and it turned out he got one finally delivered yesterday.

I got Tiger Wood's Golf instead of Ridge Racer as when I phoned about this, was advised they had no copies of Ridge Racer left, so decided to send another game instead, they offered to change the game if I wanted as well.

Also did not get a British Plug,as they were out of these, but again without my asking, was advised that this would be sent in due course.

To LEEIOM : Keep phoning them, and try and speak to Kamal, mention this website in your conversation, as I found it helped when I said I knew of other people's experiences of Nuplayer. I didn't mention names or anything, just the fact that I knew of what was going on.

I still think they were stalling and waiting on a delivery coming in though.

They seem an alright company, just let down by customer service eg: saying they'll return phone calls and don't. For what it's worth, I have mentioned this on the phone to them and sent it by email as well.

Anyway, WOW, Could'nt resist putting it on and trying it, could'nt believe how light the whole unit is, ran through the setup in less than 5 mins, and have played 5 holes of golf so far. But I needed to charge the battery, so will either post here, or will start a new thread with a small review(not sure if there's a reviews thread or the like)

Away to price Memory cards in Edinburgh now!!!!!

23. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Nice one aligebes. Still making my mind up about Nuplayer, looking now at a US one via a Ebay powerseller who offers Paypal protection.

In a good auction your looking around £200 including delivery for the Value pack and a game which is pretty good. Wouldnt mind ordering from DVD Boxoffice as under £300 for a PSP and 6 games but I think you would get charged for customs.

I see they have packaged the PSP with THUG2 Remix now due to Ridge Racer, which I think is the US version as I cant see a Japanese version at all listed on any games sites.

So aligebes hows the PSP has it got any dead pixels etc? My main worry is dead pixels as I am a bit of a perfectionist and even 1 imperfection gets me annoyed even on something cheap let alone a PSP.

All we need now is RockyWilcox and LEEIOM to be happy and sorted with some shiny PSPs.

24. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I looked at both these websites but am convinced i'll get a better deal off ebay if i'm patient enough.

25. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mossmanfly, I have been (extensively) testing it this afternoon and have a nice crystal clear screen, no dead pixels at all, Already yelled at Tiger Woods which Is not bad at all, in fact I'm finding it quite addictive..

Have now got it connected via USB to my Apple Mac and no problems there. Will talk more in a while tonight. I've had no lunch through playing with the PSP, so am away to have tea.

Borrowed a 512mb card and CSI and Smallville look and sound great on it.... BIG SMILE....

26. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Nice one :D Hope its all going well for you. Looking at getting a 1GB card myself as I have seen them for about £90 Ebuyer have them for £84, but dont trust Ebuyer since they have messed my friend about and left him paying for a monitor back in August 04 which he still hasnt got or resolved.

Got a reply from Video Games Plus just now and they should have some more stock next week. Quite a few people have bought from there and they mark the package down to avoid any extra charges, think shipping is around £28 from them, PSP is £150 and games about £25.

Bidding on a PSP on ebay at the moment, out bid though, but he only takes paypal with verifed addresses and I am in the process of getting this done as I only joined ebay and paypal in the weekend.

Going to keep Nuplayer in mind though as being in the UK already is very tempting and easier to solve any problems etc.

27. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
  28. aligebes

aligebes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As the JAP PSP games are region free, I'll probably use VG+ for games. I was tempted to get a PSP from them, but was not fully sure about customs charges.

1st impressions are very good for the PSP, but definetly need a bigger memory card, looked on Ebay and can get a 512 for around £50.00. I might push for a 1gig but will be checking prices closely

I asked in John lewis today for their prices for actual Sony Memory Sticks for a PSP:-

256mb- £69.95
    512mb -£194.99
    1 gig -£199.99

That's just crazy pricing..

The PSP is just so damn cool, but I will have to let the battery fully charge, which I have not done yet, Tiger Wood's Golf is a very addictive game.

Will post more later.

29. mossmanfly

mossmanfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    That is expensive for those sticks.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/SanDisk/1GB/Memory/Stick/PRO/DUO

£90 for 1GB SanDisk card. Sony cards are coming in at £48 for 512MB and a highspeed 1GB is £135.

VG+ mark packages down as Toys and at $20 to avoid customs, people who have recieved PSPs from them havent been charged. A single game is going to easily pass though without too much hassle I would have thought. Once I get a PSP I will use VG+ or maybe DVD Boxoffice depending on whether they mark games down at all.

30. ManWithNoName

ManWithNoName

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having trouble with Nuplayer, like too many others. I ordered lunchtime Tuesday (the 29th), but did get my PSP next day as "guaranteed". I tried phoning Tuesday evening but could not get through to anyone. I did manage to speak to someone this morning and was told I could expect delivery today, or at worst definitely by Friday.

Waited all day. It Never came :mad:.

I have just checked my internet banking but no money has yet been taken, so I do not feel optimistic for a delivery tomorrow. But I understand they may be having problems with collecting payments. Aligebes, has your card been debited?

Incidently I am new here, so hello everyone!