1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US PSP launch a flop ?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by paulfoley, Mar 26, 2005.

1. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    IGN News Story

Firstly I am not a sony hater as I have a PS1, a PS2 & have a PSP in the post(also GC & DS). Just thought some of you may be interested in the news that the US PSP launch could have been one of the worst yet (not counting the Jaguar). Companies should never get big headed & stop trying, just ask Sega !

;)

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    its going to take time. They said themselves that they didnt bother advertising it. I also wonder how availability is?

3. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    I asked my friend to pick me one up due to the DVD Soon Fiasco - Apparently the 4 nearest stores to her all had them available. She's near downtown Toronto, not some small village!

When I visited Toronto in November, I walked straight into an Electronics Boutique and picked up a DS - so I don't think you can read too much into it.

4. Throttle

Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Yea i read about it on IGN earlier that shops had not sold a great deal of there stock ...I bet the making canada having to include wayne gretsky in the psp pack at the cost of another $50 hasnt helped there too :thumbsdow ive got mine being shipped from VG+ and have had to have gretsky hockey :boring:
    The Ds supposed to have sold quite well though ...prob the pricing hasnt done it much favours with the psp sales tbh

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Apparently the PSP is outselling the DS 2:1 in Japan right now, so wait and see.

Hopefully this should mean I get to see my PSP from dvdsoon before the PS3 is released. :rolleyes:

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    :rotfl:

7. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is it just me or does the psp look far far far............... better than the ds? i have nothing against nintendo (in fact i think the snes and n64 are the greatest consoles ever made) but recently they have gone downhill. sony release a very cool handheld with great graphics, cool looks, movie playing ability and generaly a nice piece of kit. compared to the ds it looks brilliant, the ds just seems like nintendo are trying to be TOO inovative and have lost the actual point of consoles, to play games. the touch screen seems more like a gimmick than a serious inovation. it reminds me of the little memory card things for the dreamcast with the screens on em, sounds good but pretty useless tbh. i REALLY hope nintendo do well i like em but i think sony deserve to do better.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Hey, I had plenty of fun nurturing my chao in Sonic Adventure on those vmu's! :thumbsup:

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I honestly dont think these new mobile consoles are going to sell that well outside of Japan. I mean, here where I live (Tokyo) people spend anywhere between 1 to 3 hours on a train traveling to and from work.
    People dont drive, or take buses much, they take trains. Thus you either sit or stand, giving you the perfect time and opportunity to play on your PSP or DS. Maybe even watch a movie!

That is the culture in Japan and that is why handhelds sell so well. (remember, Sony and Nintendo are japanese companies)

I somehow dont see Americans or Europeans spending the same ammount of time on trains on a daily basis.
    Most people drive, and usually short distances.
    How long do u spend on a train or bus in the UK? I used to spend less than an hour. Here I spend 2 hours one way on the train!
    So I play my PSP and DS more than i play my PS2, XBox, or GC!!

Its all about the culture and the situation. In japan these new systems are perfect and just what people want, but i simply dont see it in the US or EU!.

10. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
    Same here. The annoying thing is that they are currently packing Wipeout Pure and Lumines. How long after to receiving those games will be likely to have to wait before my PSP turns up!? wish I'd ordered the PSP itself from VG+ and the games from DvdSoon. Oh well. You never know, perhaps DVS will come through and start shipping sometime next week!?

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    I doubt that it ever will mate. I cancelled my order and sourced one from elsewhere. Canada are only getting the Gretsky packs in according to all sources that i've seen (and believe me I was glued to this situation for a while up to the launch).

12. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Some people spend hours on the train here in britain! I live relatively close to Leeds and know a lot of people that every week take the train journey from leeds to london and back again, and it takes a few hours! And IMO even though most brits drive, we will buy any gadget that looks cool!

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I dont think this is the case. Most other sources are reporting that the major outlets are selling out or are now only selling bundles. EB (The biggest US games retialer) has stated that they only have enough stock for the next week or so and after that they are taking preorders for the second delivery.

Remember also its Easter Weekend, retail sales are normally flat over this period especially ion the states. Also you are always going to have a situation where stock is available in the smaller out of town locations.

I wouldnt read too much into it to be honest I think that most of the launch stock will be gone in the next 7 days.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    I nearly didn't get one as I originally didn't see the point as I only occasionally use public transport. The thing is though the PSP gives you the option to be able to play PS2 quality games and watch films where ever you are. It's also something that you can just pick up in the house when you can't be arsed (in my case) going up to the games room and setting up the PJ to play on the full size consoles. On top of all that it's simply just a cool device. I'm also more likely to spend more time on a handheld than on my full size consoles as i'm not restricted to sitting in my games room when playing on it.

If one thing is pretty much assured with the PSP, it's that it will sell shed loads of units and probably go on to take the lions share of the handheld market!

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I have to agree with that. I feel nintendo have fumbled the ball and Sony will not only pick it up, but score the winning goal!

Its too late for ninty to go back and bring out a PSP killer. MAYBE the next Game Boy might be that, but that wont come for a long time, and it will be too late.

I dont see the DS outselling the PSP or the GBA. It simply doesn't have the appeal of either machines. Its gimmicky and clever, but thats all. It doesn't have lastability.

16. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I reckon these consoles will sell but people will probably end up playing them at home rather than on public transport. I've been to Tokyo, it is safe and people don't bat an eye lid when someone pulls a gameboy out and starts playing it.

If you were to pull out your brand spaking new PSP on the tube in London, you would probably get mugged!

I'm buying it primarily for ocassional gaming at home. i like the convenience of picking it up before bedtime and then putting it back down again 5 minutes later without having to turn on the TV unplug cables and pack up stuff afterwards.

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This is exactly the point. Wifi online gamming whilst you are sat in the garden or watching TV with the Mrs. How cool is that ? Even my mrs likes the look o these I bet she ends up using it a bit.

Coupled with the Failure of the Gamecube (Which I actually think is a very good system) I think the PSP is driving the final nail into Nintendo confim.

I also think Sony have stolen a march on Xbox2 Ok its out before PS3 but the must have toy this christmas will be the PSP not an Xbox 2.

Its bad news for MS as the handheld they have just brought out looks pants compared to the PSP.

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    What would be cool would be if you could kind of stick it in stand by and when someone fancied an online game with you the PSP would make a noise (a bit like ringing a mobile).

Does anyone know how this infrastructure thing works - can you build up a friends list like X-Box Live, if not how do online wifi games (not local wifi) work?

What handheld have M$ brought out?

19. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Gizmondo or whatever its called is MS apparently......

I got a docking station from DVDsoon for £3 shipped, and its actually in packaging :rolleyes:

20. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Not being a console fanatic can I ask why the tone of the thread seems to be that a close second and third place in a multi million dollar industry is a failure. From what I've seen there are more than enough people that will buy these to make each company a tidy profit.

21. SeedyR

SeedyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    I remember when I first brought a Xbox (on UK launch day) there was all this talk a few days after saying microsoft had already failed due to it not selling incredibly well. A few years on, I don't think anyone who have said the xbox has flopped or even failed. It definitely hasn't outsold the ps2 overall, but seeming it was microsofts first console and a lot of people originally had a psone, the logical next step was for them to get a ps2 (this may be the same for gba owners who now wanna get a DS) Basically I don't care which console sells better as long as neither flop as I don't want an obsolete handheld. Games are what make a console in my opinion and I don't think we've seen the best yet for either machine.

22. dr_loss

dr_loss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think the virus game? i cant remember what its called... infected or something will have a search for other players built in, so it will ring when someone nearby is playing....

maybe this will be another homebrew update - along with VOIP in Wi-FI hotspots - goodbye mobile phone call charges...

23. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It's gonna sell like hot cakes when it actually comes out over here, as long as there are a few people left that havn't bought imports!

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Ah I see, I was wondering who was behind that! There doesn't seem to be many people interested in the Gizmondo though, is anyone actually going to buy one?

I'd have thought that M$ would have made a more serious attempt at the handheld market (like they did with X-Box in the console market) if they were entering into it.

25. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    It's more of competition to the n-gage, as it is a mobile phone as well.

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Ah I see, it does look pretty good games wise - much better than the N-Gage.

27. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its really meant to be along the lines of a PSP, handheld gamming come portable media device. But its very expensive and I cant see it getting anything like the support it needs.

Looks like a massive flop to me.....

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Yeah I doubt that most people have heard of it. It seems odd though that M$ would go at something in such a low key way, whether it's a competetor for N-Gage or the DS & PSP. Most odd! When is it due out?

29. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its out over here, it was released last week I think not that you would know....

30. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    The Gizmondo? I don't think it is actually, it just does SMS. Its all a bit of shame it hasn't more support really, those that have used it say its a nice system...