US PS3 in Europe -> problems

commanddos

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
Recently I've bought the PS3 Slim in US and everything was OK during my stay in States, however after return back to my country it looks like I can use it as a stand for flowers only.
The games as such works perfectly fine but the problem is starting when I want to play a Blue Ray or DVD movie on it. Unfortunately my US PS3 has been set to play NTSC instead PAL and no PAL DVD or BR is playable on console therefore I have a question to anyone in this forum.
Is there are any possibilities on heaven, earth or even hell to setup, reflash or do whatever in console's operating system to play PAL DVD or Blue Ray discs if currently console has NTSC?
Next question:
Have anyone played with dropping country coding in BR? Is it possible on American PS3?
I've try already to contact official country distributor of PS3 but they sent me to contact Sony US Support. The support in US provided me info that they are using NTSC and they will not change the TV system because of there are a differences between consoles developed for American Market and Europe.
So now Full circle is closed and I dont have a chance to view my PAL Blue ray and DVD movie disks collection :)

Please advise....:lease:

I'm afraid not.

Plenty of people want US machines for the very reason you don't...you could try selling on these forums (not sure what the rules are for new posters though)

Last edited:
That is an option but first of all I would like to check all other possibilities. I will keep in mind your suggestion and let you know once I will decide to get rid of this American piece of junk. :)

I had a 60GB US Console and only rarely had an issue with Blurays as most Blu's are region free. PAL DVD's will not work however, only Region 1

That's the point.... Most of my DVD collection is in pal (region is not supported in europe) Have anyone of you try to ref lash the ps3 operating system to be in line with European standards?
P.S.
I don't know if it is a big difference but Ive got 120 gb disk....

Are you using an HD TV? If so then PAL shouldn't come in to it for Blu-ray, the problem is that Europe is Region B for Blu-ray whilst the US console plays Region A. Some European Blu-ray discs are multi-region (more so than US Blu-ray discs) so they should work - try searching google for a list of multi-region Blu-rays.

As for DVD there is no way (currently - nor on the horizon) to play discs that are PAL or non-region 1/region free on a US console.

Buy a cheap DVD player for your DVD's and import Blu-rays from the US (usually cheaper and released earlier) to play on the US PS3. :smashin:

Last edited:
If it is only a matter of regions I think I can live with this. Thanks for ideas and clues. I've bought a DVD player and I will stay with PS3 as a BR player.

If it is only a matter of regions I think I can live with this. Thanks for ideas and clues. I've bought a DVD player and I will stay with PS3 as a BR player.

Cool. :smashin:

Take advantage of it and look at buying your BR from the US to get them earlier and cheaper.

You'll be able to play Region A & Region free titles on your US PS3.
Here's a list of Blu-rays available in Europe that are actually region free, so will also work on your PS3 absolutely fine.
Blu-Ray Region Code Info

Be careful that there are a handful of EU titles that are region free, but are 50hz, so won't work (but these are clearly identified on the list).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom