US ProntoPro (TSU7000) controlling non-US X10 gear

Markie Boy

Guys,
I have always bought US-sourced Prontos and my current purchase is no exception. I am aware however that the RF freqs on US Prontos are different to those used in Europe and Australia. However, Im curious if there is an off-the-shelf device or mod that can be done to a US Pronto to get it to work with non-US X10 equipment. Any ideas? There must be something out there can be change the RF operation frequency?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I suppose you could change the RF Chip used. might be worth checking on remote central but I'm not sure I'd fancy doing it.
My thoughts are to source a USA RF extender and X10 IR receiver, stash them in a cupboard somewhere and bobs your uncle. Alternatively if you are happy with line of site operation just the IR receiver will do the trick

MSW

Distinguished Member
My thoughts are to source a USA RF extender and X10 IR receiver, stash them in a cupboard somewhere and bobs your uncle. Alternatively if you are happy with line of site operation just the IR receiver will do the trick
I'm not sure if the helps, or is relevant, but, I have done the above with a USA TSU9400 & RFX9600.

Mark

Markie Boy

Thanks marksimonwright and JimBobVFR400,
Need some more input from you guys. You say to pick up a US RF extender for my remote (check) and the X10 IR receiver (I assume something like http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ir543.htm?)

What I want to do basically is control multiple lights around the house and their status (on/off). I guess where Im confused is that US X10 stuff and European X10 stuff dont operate on th same frequency. I have no probs getting a US RF extender for my Pronto and a IR543, but all other X10 gear would have to be bought locally due to AC voltage.

So would this setup work? If you guys have this setup perhaps you could elaborate?
Thanking you guys again.

MSW

Distinguished Member
Thanks marksimonwright and JimBobVFR400,
Need some more input from you guys. You say to pick up a US RF extender for my remote (check) and the X10 IR receiver (I assume something like http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ir543.htm?)

What I want to do basically is control multiple lights around the house and their status (on/off). I guess where Im confused is that US X10 stuff and European X10 stuff dont operate on th same frequency. I have no probs getting a US RF extender for my Pronto and a IR543, but all other X10 gear would have to be bought locally due to AC voltage.

So would this setup work? If you guys have this setup perhaps you could elaborate?
Thanking you guys again.
It would work fine, the reason is that you would not actually be using RF to control the EU X10 devices.

Your remote would send a UK "IR" signal direct to a UK IR543 which would in turn convery this to the X10 code

OR Your remote would send a UK "IR" signal, via your own remotes RF frequency to the extender, the extender would convert this code back to the IR, which would then go to the IR543 via an emitter, which then change back to X10 code and off you go.

The point here is that in the set ups above you are not actually communicating with you X10 modules via RF. You are using IR.

X10 normally receives codes via RF and then changes them into X10 code - (In the scenerio you would suffer the issue you have raised)

However, you are communicate via IR (IR543) which then changes what it receives into X10 codes. How you decide to actually communicate with you IR543 e.g. line of sight, or via an extender is totally separate to the X10 RF codes

MSW

Distinguished Member
Thanks again marksimonwright,
I assume the US IR543 requires a step down transformer (I guess theyre 120v) ? I guess if possible I can do without the Pronto RF extender and just have the IR543 where it is visible to receive the IR from the US Pronto.
Don't know about the US IR543, but, why not buy the Uk one, approx £25 - £30 and, no step down receive needed.

Quite correct you do not need an extender if the IR543 is isable

In fact there are much cheeper ways to get IR from one room to an out of sigh device anyway (to be fair, extenders offer other benefits as well), e.g. for about £40 Keene electronic do a IR Transmiteer / Receiver which goes in the room where you remote is, the transmiter receiver will then (via a wire) send the signal to whereever yoo decide to place the receiver.

Other options do exists, probable best to have a look at teh remote control forums

Markie Boy

Bugger!!! I just bought a US one off Ebay as I thought I needed a US one! Ah well. I have an IR solution for my components which are located in a different room and works fine (IR-RF sender/receiver kit). But for this purpose I need the ability to control X10 equipment all round the house. will report back on my results!!!

Jamie

Distinguished Member
You would be able to find the codes you need on remotecentral. (as part of a configuration file)

Search for X10 or IR543 in the files area. Any pronto file will do just to import the pages and use the codes in your own configuration (files for old prontos, B&W prontos etc)

Not got access to RC from here (at work) but I'll provide a link later tonight.

Markie Boy

Well guys I picked up some X10 modules (2 x Lm12AU Lamp Modules and 1 x AM12AU Appliance Module), and for the life of me cant get them to work. I havent even bothered to use the Pronto yet.
I plugged my US IR543 controller into a double wall socket (and using a step down transformer) and plugged a lamp module with a lamp into the other one. Set the house and unit code and despite doing the same on the IR543, pressing the buttons on the unit has no effect.
Any ideas guys?
I thought the fact that the US IR543 runs at 60Hz might be the problem but I assume my step down converts it to 50Hz for local use?

Markie Boy

Well guys I picked up some X10 modules (2 x Lm12AU Lamp Modules and 1 x AM12AU Appliance Module), and for the life of me cant get them to work. I havent even bothered to use the Pronto yet.
I plugged my US IR543 controller into a double wall socket (and using a step down transformer) and plugged a lamp module with a lamp into the other one. Set the house and unit code and despite doing the same on the IR543, pressing the buttons on the unit has no effect.
Any ideas guys?
I thought the fact that the US IR543 runs at 60Hz might be the problem but I assume my step down converts it to 50Hz for local use?
Anybody???

Markie Boy

Any ideas guys?

Hate bumping threads but has anybody ideas as to why the above isnt working for me?

KW1816

Novice Member
Hate bumping threads but has anybody ideas as to why the above isnt working for me?
The X10 signals won't make it thorugh the step down transformer - what are you trying to use, IR or RF ?
The IR543 simply uses IR signals which are the same world over, if you get a get 220V version of the IR543 it will work.

RF is more tricky - Your US pronto sends RF signals at 310MHZ whereas UK equipment sends/recieves 433MHZ. As others have mentioned, you should be able to use a US RF-IR extender if you need to control equipment in another room or cupboard etc.

Hope this helps :)

Markie Boy

The X10 signals won't make it thorugh the step down transformer - what are you trying to use, IR or RF ?
The IR543 simply uses IR signals which are the same world over, if you get a get 220V version of the IR543 it will work.

RF is more tricky - Your US pronto sends RF signals at 310MHZ whereas UK equipment sends/recieves 433MHZ. As others have mentioned, you should be able to use a US RF-IR extender if you need to control equipment in another room or cupboard etc.

Hope this helps :)
Hi KW1816,
I dont wanna control equipment in other rooms, nor use the RF ability of the Pronto, i simply want to use the Pronto, pointing at the IR543, to control X10 gear. As said the IR543 is US and the X10 gear is local (Asutralia). You say the step down would be problem, why would this be so?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Hi KW1816,
I dont wanna control equipment in other rooms, nor use the RF ability of the Pronto, i simply want to use the Pronto, pointing at the IR543, to control X10 gear. As said the IR543 is US and the X10 gear is local (Asutralia). You say the step down would be problem, why would this be so?
X10 signals themselves (ignoring RF and IR) are sent through the powerlines.

Because your IR543 is not actually directly connected to the power (its going through the stepdown transformer which works on inductance in coils) there is no way for the X10 signal itself to get into your powerlines.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more

Trending threads

Top Bottom