1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

us players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by squid, Jun 9, 2001.

1. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone tell me of a site in the uk where i can buy a us player . i was going to get my sony multy regioned but think in the light of the new ways that the dvd manufacturers are trying to stop there stuff playing on multy region players, i think going for a true reg 1 player may be a better bet .
    i do not whant to buy dvds in the future only to find i have no way to play them. there is no way that they can stop dvds from playing in a player they where ment to play ion without stoping them from playing in all the players

anyone got a good link it would be much apreciated . i would get direct from the us but don't whant all the bother of importing duty ect.

thanks in advance
    simon

2. george1138

george1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the disc emporium sell them www.discemporium.co.uk (or something similar)

Dont worry about getting a chipped machine. As long as its from a good supplier. I have 2 machines from www.linkonline.co.uk and they play everything, even the tricky titles with RCE, branching discs etc. Well recommended. :)

3. KAO

KAO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I have heard stories of some RCE disks not playing properly even in certain pukka Region 1 players, so do your research properly before you buy.

I can second George's comments about Linkonline. I bought a chipped Pioneer 626 from them about 18 months ago, and it's played everything I've thrown at it with no problems at all, even the supposedly tricky disks. Definitely worth checking them out.

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: KAO ]

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i allready have a brand new sony dvp-s536 that is reg2 only so i can get this chiped or get another player just for reg1
    i have read that they will soon be bringing out RCE reg2 disk. the thing that worrys me is if i go and get it chipped and it dos'nt spin the RCE disks then i am not only unable to play some reg1 but allso some reg2

what happens if for eg. they bring out somthing next year that won't spin at all in a chiped machine. i know i'm a bit of a pesemist but these things happen

i just thought that the best way to go would be to get proper regenaly encoaded machines. but from what you say this may not even be too good an option

i may just go for a cheep multy reg for reg1 disks and keep the sony for reg2 and it's exelent cd playback abilitys

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nearly forgot to say thanks george1138
    for the links

and thanks allso to you KAO

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I hope you have considered that:

- you will need a transformer (230V > 110V)
    - a Region 1 player cannot play PAL discs even it's modified to multiregion
    - your TV / display must understand NTSC
    - Region 1 players will not have SCART connectors

No problems here with my multiregion DVD player, currently the 3rd one which is said to be RCE compatible, too (haven't tried it though).
    I have R0, R1, R2, R3 and R4 discs and they all play fine.

7. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know about the step down transformer . the other points are not an isue becouse i would be using it with my projector that only ha s-video imputs and is fully capable of using pal ntsc or secam

as i have allso said i allready have a reg2 player to play other disks

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I'm in the same position.
    My imported Pana A310 has just died on me after 3 years of excellent service.
    Gonna try a local panasonic service center on the off chance it can be repaired cheaply, if not I'm seriously thinking of getting another american player.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Squid, the point I wanted to make is that there is IMHO no need for a US player as a region 2 player (modified) can do the same.
    This will be done at less cost and result in less equipment / accessories in your system.

I don't think that those worries you mentioned are really justified, most people are very happy with their modified players and do not have much of a problem.
    In fact if you choose carefully there shouldn't be any as I would expect with your current player.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

10. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just been looking at the skyworth

lokks like it could be the way to go . gona wait a little while to see if they get a uk distributer

11. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone know any other sites that stock r1 players in the uk . on the site i was given the only player realy within my budget was a sony .
    i have a sony and envision remote interaction problems .

still trying to keep my options open