1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Plasma question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mag9, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Mag9

Mag9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently working in the US for 3 years and about to buy a TV. I am aware of the technolgy difference in CRTs but was told by the local salesman that I would be able to use a US plasma back in the UK when I return, subject to using a transformer to step down the power source from 220v to 110v (which should be relatively easy to do). I would be grateful if someone could confirm whether this is true and whether it would also be true if the plasma had an in-built tuner (ie can these be switched off so that it becomes a pure monitor)?

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi,

Using a US model plasma in the UK shouldn't be a problem using a step-down voltage converter. Most plasmas can handle 120 or 240 volts anyway, so you may not even need a converter. Plasmas don't normally have built-in tuners, but some do have separate media receivers. For example, the new Pioneer 4340HD comes with a receiver box that has a hi-def tuner in addition to a standard NTSC tuner. Of course, these won't be of much use in the UK, unless we adopt the HD standard in the meantime - which is fairly unlikely to happen anytime soon. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

No problem buying a Plasma in the states.
    As long as it plays back PAL signals(most do, but check it out!) there's no problem. Using a transformer is no problem.

Some plasma screens has built in tuners. I recommend not buying one of those. I weakens the signal and you can't bypass the tuner, using it just as a monitor.

Go for a Pio 4340 or a Panny 6!

C

4. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Heh, Claus didn't you just tell him not to buy a Pio 4340 with the bit about the built in tuner? ;)

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Is a separate tuner box classed as built-in?

Steve

6. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pio 434 input signal is not going through the tuner. It goes digitally direct to the screen! HDMI.

C

7. Arsenal

Arsenal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the HDMI input is in the Media Receiver with the tuner though is it not? Ah well.. as you can see from my signature, its not putting me off any :)

8. Claus

Claus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the HDMI input is on the tuner. But the DVD input or any other device is not going through the "tuner" part of the Media box, as in i.e Panny PA20.
    The signal is going directly(if chosen) to the plasma(digitally).

C

9. Mag9

Mag9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your replies, they were the reassurance I was looking for - always difficult to know whether the sales guys are spinning you a line. I will now hit the Thanksgiving sales! Will probably go for the Panny or Philips. The Pioneer is a couple of grand (US$) beyond my budget.

10. lloydde

lloydde
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy the Panny TH-37PW6 from the States as it is the pefect size for my room and not available in the UK. The current exchange rate may make it cheaper than buying the UK's closest equivalent.
    Will soon be dealing with these conversion issues.
    Having looked at the technical specifications of the power unit I am hoping it is compatable9Switchable) with the UK power supply. If not I will find the cheapest, smallest but adequate power transformer available.
    My plan is to use the component input supplied to connect VCR, Sky+ and DVD using a 3 scart switcher and a scart to component converter.
    Let me know if you want to know how I got on.

11. jfraser

jfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mag 9
    Be VERY careful about which Plasma you buy in the US.....I'm in the same position as you, and I nearly bought a Pio 5040HD....these units are NTSC at bought the tuner AND panel level (I confirmed this with PIO USA...they will not work in the UK)....this is also the case with the panny consumer unit.....You need to buy the commercial models (don't have seperate media units)...They will clearly state that they are multi standard.

I ended up having too buy a 504HDE from the UK

12. jfraser

jfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for the typo....should read NTSC at BOTH the tuner and panel level

13. evilrkd

evilrkd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: