1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Panny RCA component boards PW6/7

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by echo3, Mar 24, 2005.

1. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having spent ages looking for an RCA board in stock somewhere in the UK at a decent price (£140 was the cheapest I found), I ended up ordering a BNC board yesterday.

This morning I got an email from B&H in the states telling me they had arrived in stock. Great timing, but thought someone else might be searching too, so here is the link.

BHphotovideo

Board is £55. They deliver to the UK for about £17 ($32.50 for 10-14 days), you will also need to factor in VAT at just under about £10, if customs bother. Should be no duty as under the limit. Makes the total cost about £83ish.

2. delaxm

delaxm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the duty limit was only £36, bought some PC parts back in january & the post office wouldn't hand them over until the duty was paid.

3. Davidgilmour

Davidgilmour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I bought the exact same board on Ebay 11 days ago , for 45 pounds inc shipping from the USA, no VAT , it was send as a gift. Works 100%.

Ebay rulez :D

4. 2naughty4u

2naughty4u
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would a US panny rca component board work on Uk panny's?

5. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Would a US panny rca component board work on Uk panny's?"

according to Panasonic UK it will on the PW7, you can call their care centre for technical assistance on 08705 357357 to ask about other displays.

"I thought the duty limit was only £36"

That is the value limit for gifts not to attract duty and VAT (actually 45 euros). The real rate for duty for items from outside the EU depends on the item in question. The % rates of duty differ, but the ceiling for payment should be £7 of duty. SO if an item has 12% duty that gives you a limit of £58, but if the rate of duty is 5% then you can get stuff worth up to £140 without paying duty. This is per delivery, not oper item.

VAT works differently, and the ceiling for payment is when the goods exceed £18, unless the item is exempt or zero rated.

At least that's what I've read from the Customs and Excise website. They have an internet shopping guide here.

Unfortunatley its really hard to determine what rate of duty your going to be paying, and all the major courier or postal services charge admin fees on top if they need to collect anything (even if its just VAT).

Sometimes you get lucky though and don't have to pay anyhting.