1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Masters not widescreen!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Bernard Barnett, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was greatly looking forward to watching the BBC's Freeview coverage of The Masters, not only for the golf itself but because Augusta is such a beautiful course. It's so disappointing that it is not being shown in widescreen. Yet CBS, whose feed the BBC is taking, is covering the event in widescreen (in both standard definition and HD). Does anyone have any idea why we're having to put up with 4:3?

2. diverse

diverse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it was the same with Euro Championships last year, 2004 and 4:3!

3. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Not the same. US viewers are getting it in widescreen.

4. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most likely it will be due to the feed that CBS is providing the rest of the world. If the majority of the rest of the world want 4:3 then that's what they will provide. It's that or they pay for two feeds at twice the price. Beaming video around the world ain't cheap.

5. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I understand that but presumably it's the overseas broadcasters paying for the beaming. Since a widescreen feed is available you'd have thought the BBC would have gone for that - can't be that much more expensive surely.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Why don't you read the answers that people provide ? Just because a widescreen feed is available to the programme provider does not mean that they are making it available to the rest of the world.

7. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Don't be rude please. Arrangements with "the rest of the world" must be individually contracted. What I fail to understand, and has not been answered, is why if a widescreen feed is available that isn't negotiable too. I'm presuming the answer must be either "CBS refuse to do it" or "The BBC won't pay for it." Any enlightenment on that would be appreciated (I've already asked the BBC but they haven't replied...)

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ok, your cbs and you have a widescreen feed and a 4:3 feed, you have a choice of offering 4:3 to everyone costing you, say, $500k, or you can spend another $500k (making $1,000,000) and give say 95% of the countries 4:3 and the remaining 5% who want widescreen (UK), widescreen. basically i don't think they want to double the money they spend just to please a small minority of broadcasters.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's not a question of what the host broadcaster has chosen to supply for the "world feed" as such or how much it would cost them to have more options for their overseas customers.
    If a broadcaster is willing to pay enough I suspect almost any arrangment could be negotiated with the host supplier assuming that the material was actually being shot by the host which in this case it is.

NBC when they wanted High Def coverage of Wimbledon made sure this happended by supplying cameras and crews, same sorta thing with the BBC/ITV sending small units to do pitch side work/interviews for overseas footy competitions.

I suspect that money is at the bottom of the lack of 16:9 coverage, even the BBC has to justify certain expenditure and without a dedicated HD output to cover costs it's just not practical to get the golf in anything but 4:3.

10. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks folks. Yes, that all makes sense. What a missed opportunity though.

11. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Nice to hear they have a widescreen option for the US this year. I sometimes go to this event on business and in the hospitality unit I have access to they only have 4:3 Hi Def rear projection TV's so I never knew they did widescreen HD broadcasts of this event. I have been impressed by the BBC's coverage this year though.

12. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Gosh, how wonderful, it must be an amazing experience. According to the AVS forums this is the first year CBS has been doing widescreen HD.

13. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was getting so interested in the Golf that I even put up the screen and turned on the Projector, unfortunately al lthis did was show up what a rubbish transmission was being sent by sky when they were sat in the wicker chairs interviewing the picture was almost unwatchable,(blocky and reduced colours). it wasnt my projector as turning over to another channel showed a good pic. good game though.

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Shame to hear that the BBC golf coverage is as poor as their footy coverage on Dsat.
    As a matter of course I watch the BBC footy on analogue, been disgusted by the picture quality on the BBC at times.

A few matches back I did find that BBC London had a far superior picture to BBC East Midlands, stat muxing and over loading transponders should not be the way a broadcaster without commercial pressures should go:(