Us Masters Golf

I

IanMerseyside

I notice that the BBC HD channel are showing extensive coverage and according to the info bar it is to be in HD. Is this correct? :lease:

I notice that the BBC HD channel are showing extensive coverage and according to the info bar it is to be in HD. Is this correct? :lease:

Oh yes indeedy! :smashin:

ATB

Max

really, fanbloodytastic. This will be the 9pm show?

yes they are showing as 1 programme rather than the bbc2/bbc1 split.

by the way the preview programme was on bbchd tonight and looked awesome, ive just got my HD box for the Masters and am very very impressed.

Enjoy

I've just watched the preview programme recorded on BBC HD. I thought the Ryder Cup looked good on Sky but this looked even better (maybe due to the brighter weather?). Some of the pictures where Ken Brown was walking around the course looked almost 3D! I hope the live coverage is as good as this! :thumbsup:

Will certainly give it a look even though I find golf so :boring: :boring:

If its up to the normal BBCHD standard it should be great for you guys who like golf.

Will certainly give it a look even though I find golf so :boring: :boring:

If its up to the normal BBCHD standard it should be great for you guys who like golf.

The masters is the only golf event my wife will watch, but she doesn't really watch it for the golf, she's a horticulturist and Augusta is such a fantastic looking course she watches it to see the grounds :rotfl:

For any non golfers out there, go and have a try at your local driving range and then watch some golf on tv and you'll realise what a tremendously difficult sport it is, it may change your perception of it when watching the game on telly, I've been lucky enough to play at some of the best courses in the UK and when your stood on the 18th tee at The Brabazon :rolleyes: it makes you realise you how good the top players really are.

I've been lucky enough to play at some of the best courses in the UK and when your stood on the 18th tee at The Brabazon :rolleyes: it makes you realise you how good the top players really are.

Especially, if like me, you had to take a drop after putting your first attempt at reaching the 18th into the water! I did birdie the 10th though! :D

ATB

Max

For any non golfers out there, go and have a try at your local driving range and then watch some golf on tv and you'll realise what a tremendously difficult sport it is.

Yeah agree with this, but playing it and watching it are 2 different things. Its one of those sports that you either love or hate I suppose.

We will be giving it a watch here and there just to see what it looks like in HD, should look good as there is not a lot of fast movement, should look better then soccer.

Golf was well defined some time ago as "A long walk punctuated by disappointments."

And "A good walk spoiled!"

I'm off to South Caroliner for ten days of it in less than a fortnights time! :smashin:

I shall be taking a big suitcase in case I see anything irresistable in the gadget shops!

ATB

Max

It makes me laugh; I was upgrading my mobo/processor/graphics/RAM recently and had a look while I was in the States (OK, Florida - maybe that's the problem). No computer shops, even ones who were real upgrader focussed had ANY of the newest kit in stock! A bit like PC World here. there seem to be no Novatech-style shops in the US, or not in Florida at least. Also, the price they offered to 'order in' for me worked out to be nearly as much as Novatech charged, even with a near 2:1 exchange rate. That, and the chance I'd be clobbered for duty and VAT in customs made it an unrealistic prospect.

I hope what you're looking for isn't the same.

:offtopic:

Sorry. BTW, although I'm not a golfer I've set all the Masters coverage to record partly for the excellent HiDef but mostly 'cos it's really what should be called 'the beautiful game' - Atlanta being one of the best examples both in terms of the scenery and the play. Who knows, one day I may take it up but I prefer to spend my money on PC/AV stuff.

I hope what you're looking for isn't the same.

:offtopic:

Probably only a cheap HD DVD player and maybe some iPod goodies! But you never know! :D

I've got two and a half days off from golf while I'm over there. One of those days I'm hiring a Harley (No helmet law, gotta be done!), so that only leaves a day and a half and any evenings I might grab for shopping! So Golf, eating and drinking will remain the priority! :smashin:

ATB

Max

I'm off to South Caroliner for ten days of it in less than a fortnights time! :smashin:

I shall be taking a big suitcase in case I see anything irresistable in the gadget shops!

ATB

Max

You're not going to Myrtle Beach by any chance are you? There are so many mini golf parks there that I had a mental image of you putting through a miniature windmill!
Love that spelling 'Caroliner' BTW.:D

You're not going to Myrtle Beach by any chance are you? There are so many mini golf parks there that I had a mental image of you putting through a miniature windmill!
Love that spelling 'Caroliner' BTW.:D

Yes, Myrtle Beach it is! It's a dirty job and someone has to do it! :rotfl:

Fifth visit there for me! Twenty guys on tour!

Sorry about the spelling! :hiya: It was a Freudian slip, I'm in the garage business and 'Caroliner' is a body jig! ;)

ATB

Max

Yes, Myrtle Beach it is! It's a dirty job and someone has to do it! :rotfl:

Fifth visit there for me! Twenty guys on tour!

Sorry about the spelling! :hiya: It was a Freudian slip, I'm in the garage business and 'Caroliner' is a body jig! ;)

ATB

Max

Hope you have a great time. If you do come across any good/interesting shops, I'd be glad to hear about them. My family and I have an annual beach holiday just up the coast in North Carolina and a nice shopping expedition (for gadgets of course) would make a change from eating, drinking and general lazing about.

We will be giving it a watch here and there just to see what it looks like in HD, should look good as there is not a lot of fast movement, should look better then soccer.
Lots of fast movement actually, every time the camera follows a ball off the tee.

It'll be interesting to see how the BBC's frame rate conversion holds up, let's hope it's of the standard of Sky's Superbowl coverage. They have a poor history in that regard, only a few years ago the SD version was horrific every time there was any movement.

Just watched last nights preview programme on BBBHD. Noticed some very bad compression artifacts on the horizontal lines on GL's shirt and on the vertical balustrades on the building verandas.

ATB

Max

Would have been good to have seen you on "AVForums Golf Day III" :smashin: , bet it was a difficult choice between 10 days playing at "Myrtle Beach" or one day playing at a windswept and rainy Manchester :rolleyes:

Maybe see you at the next one :smashin:

Just watched last nights preview programme on BBBHD. Noticed some very bad compression artifacts on the horizontal lines on GL's shirt and on the vertical balustrades on the building verandas.

Tarbat....you need to get out more :D .......though I too did notice some particularly bad macroblocking on the Corinthian columns which were adjacent to the upper mezzanine of the furthest left veranda :rolleyes:

I don't get it, the programme starts at 9pm, not 1pm? We're missing loads of golf, we'll miss most of Tiger's round and many other golfers!

Jake

And more problems with PQ when a fast moving ball passes across a detailed background (eg trees), the ball seems to flicker and skip frames.

I was hoping for superbowl quality - sadly not. :(

I'm comparing it to Rugby League on Sky Sports HD and it's clearly not as crisp.

Still - better than SD. :rolleyes:

I don't get it, the programme starts at 9pm, not 1pm? We're missing loads of golf, we'll miss most of Tiger's round and many other golfers!

Jake

It's the Masters it has always been like this. The organisers restrict the amount of tv coverage. We get as much coverage as they do in the US.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom