US Light Switch (120V) in the UK

m11rphy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I want to fit a Lutron Caseta wireless light switch in my new home as it will match the Lutron blinds I'm getting and work via Apple HomeKit. However the switch is rated at 120v as it meant for the US market. I was wondering what the implications would be of running this on 220v electric ?

Never known anyone to install US switches in the UK. :confused:

Looking at this page: Caseta® Wireless – Model Numbers there does seem to be one version that will work at a higher voltage; "Caséta Wireless 5A In-Wall Switch PRO, 120/277 V", but everything else in that range clearly states 120V.

Voltage isn't the only problem...

In the UK, single-phase AC supplies are 230V @ 50Hz.
In the US, they use either 120/240V @ 60Hz.

I highly doubt the switch will work (at-least not for long), since it obviously uses some electronic components that are designed for US power.

Some manufactures design their hardware to work with both, but they usually would state that fact on their website since it would be a selling point. :suicide:

Dan.

Never known anyone to install US switches in the UK. :confused:

Looking at this page: Caseta® Wireless – Model Numbers there does seem to be one version that will work at a higher voltage; "Caséta Wireless 5A In-Wall Switch PRO, 120/277 V", but everything else in that range clearly states 120V.

Voltage isn't the only problem...

In the UK, single-phase AC supplies are 230V @ 50Hz.
In the US, they use either 120/240V @ 60Hz.

I highly doubt the switch will work (at-least not for long), since it obviously uses some electronic components that are designed for US power.

Some manufactures design their hardware to work with both, but they usually would state that fact on their website since it would be a selling point. :suicide:

Dan.

Thanks Dan, whats the worst that could happen ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom